PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Painting

coolpool
07-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Ok, Ok I know I have it coming. Searched the net for a close match to Honda Red and came up with Krylon Fusion Red Pepper. Painted the forks on my BR; looks not too bad and the colour is really close! Here comes the great:crazy: idea. I'll touch up my gas tank. Also looked good until gas hit it:cry: What do you guys do to spruce up your metal tanks, send them to a body shop or spray at home?

Backfire
07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't exacly know, my tank is plastic and has a plastic covering, but I think you should take it to a shop and get free advice

mtsnieg
07-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I painted my 200s tank with rustoleum sunrise red and it looks pretty good. I did let it sit for at least a week before I got close to it with gas.

louk
07-18-2010, 08:09 PM
i painted mine also with rustoleum sunrise red enamel and let it sit a week then i wet sanded it with 1000 grit paper then clear coated it with rustoleum clear enamel let that sit 2 weeks then put on 1984 atc 70 tank sticker kit from peewee the pinstripper

AutoXer
07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
The trick seems to be let it cure for way longer than you want to ... like mtsnieg said a week plus

audioworks04
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Spray it with an automotive paint that has a hardener in it, I would never trust a rattle can for anything that holds any kind of thinner. Let it cure for at least 72 hours. And you should be good to go.

Thorpe
07-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Spray it with an automotive paint that has a hardener in it, I would never trust a rattle can for anything that holds any kind of thinner. Let it cure for at least 72 hours. And you should be good to go.

I could not agree more....

bigworm626
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I 2nd that with audio & thorpe.

jb2wheels
07-20-2010, 01:38 AM

That's what I did - auto base/clear - the white stuff in the pictures.

It wasn't cheap but I wanted to give it a try. I went fairly cheap but the stuff adds up quick:
paint gun HF purple HVLP
epoxy primer (SPI white primer)
urethane base (TCP global)
clear (SPI)
activators & reducers
respirator & extra filters
mixing cups, gloves, paint suit, filler, sandpaper, strainers, sticks, goggles, filters, driers
I already had a decent compressor - that was the least of my concerns.
I did it in my back yard - no booth.

I am very happy with the results and I can point to it and say, "I did it." But, if you're not doing more than one and you're looking for the cheapest way, take it to a pro.