PDA

View Full Version : what would you pay for an 86 t3 project bike?

scooterroo
07-17-2010, 02:35 PM
k, heres a list of whats done to it already...

fresh powdercoat on frame
new moose bars
new rear fenders
new left and right shrouds
new headlight shell, with new bulb
new prm grabbar
new seat cover
new swingarm bearings
new carrier bearings
new airbox cover on beautiful shape airbox

motor...
needs to be put back together, but has...
good cylinder and piston, new clutch kit, pretty good shape intake boot, nice shape stock headpipe.

motor needs...
like i said , to be assembled (topend only)
carb
airfilter

other parts needed...
clutch cable
chain
front master cylinder
rear master cylinder
both calipers look ok, look like new pads on them as well.
rear shock is weak, could use a rebuild.

now i already own an 86, and it is about 75% done, paid 250 for it when i got it but it was trashed and basically stripped. i have about 750 into it already.

this guy wants 800 for this one.
i love my t3's and usually know whats a good deal and whats not, but before i go grabbing it off him i thought i would get some input on it...

lol, i know the wife will be pissed as all hell, but oh well. you think its worth the 800?

scooterroo
07-17-2010, 02:37 PM
and oh yeah, it has the oem rims and tires that are at about 85% tread.
front forks are in awesome condition, guy says he put new seals in them.

dcreel
07-17-2010, 03:26 PM
In a heartbeat... There is one local to me that wanted $850 needs a stator. Didn't have the money.

sblt500r
07-17-2010, 04:09 PM
if you have the extra cash, i'd get it. i know i have over $3000 into mine. so 800 ain't bad.

cr480r
07-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Since you already have one you should know what its worth just in parts alone... you could use it for parts.. sell some of the parts... or even better have two of em... a mint one built with all the best parts from the two, and a second one built with the leftovers for daily beatings... What its worth just basically boils to down to how much you love tecates, how bad you need the parts, and how often you find them for sale.. I think $800 is a very fair price... I would make a lower offer first though... cuz anyone that sells an uncompleted project is either hurting for money or is just burnt out on it

nd4speed
07-18-2010, 04:32 AM
um I passed on a project one for $800 and another guy drove like 3 hours to get it and sold it for like $1600 to someone from NY who traveled or shipped it to NY from MI. No restoration, just straight doubling his money. I was first to call on it and shouldn't have let it pass by.

Part it out and make bank.

hang&rattle
07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
These Tecate guys know there stuff. That trike is nearly done. Cleaned up and the more difficult steps taken. The dude has way more in it than that and lots of time. $800 to start out in that good of shape is a great deal. I'm new, but a good runnin', clean Tecate is about a $1500 machine. Does that sound right guys? A fancy one that will put the fear of god in ya is about $2500-$3500(?). And you're a good mechanic, so you can get er' tuned and runnin' right. PICTURES PLEASE!