PDA

View Full Version : $100 250r

Motorious
07-14-2010, 04:21 AM
New project:

A complete, but very abused, 1982 Honda 250R. My first fully suspended trike. Needs a helluva lot of TLC, but frame looks straight and undamaged, no obvious cracks in the welds. Piston is seized, but tranny seems good (shifts thru the gears, and rolls in neutral). I think the rear axle bearings are shot, the suspension may need rebuilding (kinda makes a sucking sound when compressed), the rear fender is cracked (but is repairable), forks may be slightly bent front fender and headlight plastic is toast, handlebars are bent, exhaust is in pretty good shape (other than the obligatory surface rust on the head pipe), gas tank is in decent shape on the outside, but is rusty as f@#! on the inside, and brakes need to be gone thru (although they work and aren't sticking, but fluid is NASTY looking).

Had to drive 3 hours round trip to get it, was initially disappointed at how beat it was, but didn't want to drive that far for nothing, so I offered the guy $100 for it (he was asking $125), and bought it. After thinking about it (and giving it a thorough going over), I feel pretty good about it. After all, it's not every day you get the chance to buy a 250R for $100! At the very least I can part it out for more than I paid for it.

But I think I'm going to try to fix it. If I'm lucky I may be able to get it running with just a new top end.
Here's some pics:

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/Cychotic/250R3.jpg

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/Cychotic/250R2.jpg

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/Cychotic/250R1.jpg

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/Cychotic/250R4.jpg

RiJiD-WILL
07-14-2010, 05:10 AM
shoot it almost looks like the guy crashed it hard really HARD then just let it sit. probly just needs a little love take down and clean reassemble and Pin it!

100$ you really cant go wrong. did the guy you got it from say it used to run.?

RodKnockRacing
07-14-2010, 08:02 AM
I've definitely seen worse and for 100 bucks that's a steal

puggerton03
07-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Doesnt look too bad.

hang&rattle
07-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, not bad at all. In all actuality pretty fair condition, even for a couple of hundred bucks more, you did well.

cox
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I woulda bought that in a instant. Looks like it was wrecked then sat for a few years.....

harryredtrike
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
good job on that pick up.definitly a doable project

3wheelmecca
07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Nice find. It will make a great trike:)

thestud25
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I'll give you $100.00 and a box of Twinkies for it!!!!

Walkerallen
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
are those stock tires?

Motorious
07-14-2010, 03:21 PM
did the guy you got it from say it used to run.

Yeah, he said he bought it running when he was a youngster, the motor was tired so he did a top end job, he said it ran great and had a lot of power after that and that he had a lot of fun with it. At some point, he said, he left it at "a friends" house, and this is what it looked like when he eventually returned after a few years to pick it up. The motor wasn't seized, but he said it lacked compression when he kicked it over, and after turning it over a few times, it locked up. then He let it sit out side (presumably uncovered) for a few years at his house before I bought it. Definitely has had a hard life.

I took off the exhaust yesterday (super easy to work on BTW), and had a look at the piston. Severe scratches and a little bit of rust, and looks like one of the rings is twisted and snapped in the jug. I sprayed a bunch of penetrating fluid down the spark plug hole and up the exhaust port and let it sit. Hopefully the bottom end is good and alls I need is a top end rebuild, but I'll know more when I tear it down. Looks real simple and easy to work on, I think it'll be a fun project.

Definitely been crashed pretty hard, and I was really afraid of finding damage to the frame, but I scrutinized it pretty well yesterday and it looks good.:p

I'll give you $100.00 and a box of Twinkies for it!!!!

Sorry stud, not a Twinky fan.;)

are those stock tires?

I don't know, but they surprised me with how small they are. Actually, I'm surprised at how small the trike is overall. My Tri-Moto 175 seems bigger than the 250R.

puggerton03
07-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Is that an aftermarket silencer?

Grizzlypeg
07-14-2010, 04:12 PM
I've only ever seen pictures of a 250R and I wouldn't have guessed that's what it was, excepting only the engine and expansion chamber / exhaust. Looks like a Big Red or something with those tires.

BIGREDGUY
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Nice project.

MonroeMike
07-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Congrats on the new project.

Motorious
07-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Is that an aftermarket silencer?

Yeah, I think so, it has a sticker on it that says Richter.

Congrats on the new project

Thanks Mike, I've always wanted a 250R; it's not exactly the shiny red rocket that I had in mind, but I finally got one.:p

Motorious
07-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Finally started working on her. Gave it a wash, then took off the head and then the cylinder. Shoulda took pictures, but the piston is fried, rings are fused to the slots, top of the exhaust side of piston is partially melted, and jug is seriously scored (hope it can be salvaged). Even with the jug removed, the crankshaft wouldn't budge, so I'm thinking the bottom end is toast too. Put it in gear, rolled it back and forth a few times until I noticed the crank started to move, eventually broke it loose with a splooshing sound, and fluid went spurting out of the crankcase. Aha! Fluidlocked! Turns out the crankcase was flooded with what appeared to be old fuel and penetrating oil. After a lot of effort, I pulled the motor (was a lot more difficult than I expected, had to remove the swing arm first), and drained all the fluid from the crank case. From what I can tell it didn't seem rusty in there, and after I drained all the fluid, the crank moved freely. Had a little slop in the connecting rod, but I'm hoping I can get by without a bottom end rebuild. Guess I'll take the whole motor with me when I take it to a machine shop for re-boring, and see what they think.

Wondering if the crankseals are damaged from the old gas/penetrating fluid as well.

TheRealFatShady
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
If you need a cylinder, they should be fairly easy to come by, usually around $50-$65 bucks if I recall correctly. I even have a few laying around. Good pick up, what type of condition is the seat pan in?

Motorious
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks Shady, I might hit you up for one should I need it. As for the seat pan, it's in decent condition, as well as the seat (has one little tear in it I think, and the cover is a little faded). The rear fenders need a little work though, has a big crack running parallel with the axle, but a little fiberglass, sanding, and paint oughta make it look new again.

If the budget permits I'd like to do this thing up right, fix all the mechanical problems, sandblast and paint it to make it look nice. Might as well since it's basically all torn apart now. Gotta remember to take pictures to document the process though.

x200x
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
if i were you i'd try to make it as close to origonal as i could, that would be cool, like restore it to original cond.

Motorious
08-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I was thinking along those same lines, although I wouldn't mind upgrading to a later model swingarm if that's possible. Thinking of having the frame powdercoated, there's a local outfit advertising on craigslist for $150 for an ATV frame:http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1875193798.html

Sound like a good deal?

factoryX
08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
okay, just wondering, is that a hondaline cylinder?

bobotech
08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice deal. I woudl have bought it too.

Tri-Z 250
08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Turn that thing into a MUGEN retro flat tracker....if you can find a head. Seriously not bad...but those early250Rs make for great drag/flat trackers. I'm not saying offroad or MX is out of the question...the wheelhouse is that motor can be made to fly.

Dznutts
08-02-2010, 11:14 PM
good score man.
for a $100, I would have grabbed it too.

tri-z987
08-03-2010, 12:37 AM
nice deal!! to bad i didnt know about it, i would have swooped it up lol. where do you ride at?

Motorious
08-03-2010, 02:26 PM

I don't know, how can I tell? As far as I know, it's completely stock except for the Richter silencer.

nice deal!! to bad i didnt know about it, i would have swooped it up lol. where do you ride at?

Yeah, I didn't hesitate too long on buying it, I know deals like these don't last.

I haven't rode in a while, sold the YT175 in my avatar (kinda regret it now too, needed the money at the time to replace the motor in my sportbike), so I don't have a running trike now. But I live close to the Hunter Lake area, so although it's less than an ideal riding spot, it's convenient, and I can bring my pistol and go shooting there (legal to do so). One of the best things about Reno is there's so many great places to ride off-road vehicles-with no use fees (for now at least). A couple of my favorite spots (although it's a bit of a drive for me to get there) is Moonrocks out past Spanish Springs, and the Stead MX track. When I get a working trike (I'm considering buying another early 250R, there's a couple available right now I may be able to afford), we ought to get together and go ride somewhere. What are your favorite riding spots?

tri-z987
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
moon rocks is were im at most the time, go out there & do some bunny huntin, rock crawlin & ride the trails, i go to sun valley from time to time to shoot & ride lol & also sand mountain is a awsome place to ride. yeah thats a good thing about reno you can pretty much go ride anywhere with out a worry for the most part.

ATCeeya
08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
i woudnt have thought twice at that for only 100 bucks

SYKO
08-03-2010, 10:11 PM

no its just a regular 250 top end