PDA

View Full Version : 250sx performance valve springs with stock cam?

86trizinger
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
I am rebuilding my 250sx top end. I am putting in new valves but thinking I should replace the valve springs as well.

Is it OK to put performance Valve springs in with the stock cam for now. I plan on putting in a better cam near the end of summer. Any input would be great.

Skydrifter350
07-13-2010, 04:47 PM
I would wait on the Hi-Perf springs...unless the current springs are out of spec. You can measure the free length of the springs to check if they are serviceable. Free Length measurement should be in your manual. Hi perf cams move the valves more, thus requiring more 'spring' to close them in time. If valves do not close in time it causes 'valve float'. This is bad.
If it were me I would do it all together....New valves, guides, valve job, cam & valve springs. Probably should replace piston rings & hone cylinder while its apart. my .02.

86trizinger
07-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Valves and guides are on their way already. I went ahead and ordered the springs as well. I am having the head fully rebuilt. I also have a +1.00 mm over piston on its way as well.

I figure I will put the stock cam in for now to make sure everything is good. then I will order the cam. The cam is a little out of my budget right now but it won't be long before I have the extra cash hopefully once I sell my 2002 xr70.