PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x stroker

miajosh
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
so ive been looking for some more outta my 200x but no one has a stroker for the 87-87 200x. so i called falicon cranks and they told me it could be done and will cost around $550. and cometic will make the spacer and 1 gasket for $30. from what i know no one makes or has a stroked 86-87 200x witch seems cool to have a rare mod done. now my concern is will it worth it. is the money to power ratio right or am i gonna do all this for a tad more H.P.. i hope all the ex racers and motor builders on here will chime in and help me out on this. thanks in advance

shortline10
07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Adding a stroker is an awesome mod . I think youll love it . Instant 30%+ more tork !!!!

miajosh
07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Adding a stroker is an awesome mod . I think youll love it . Instant 30%+ more tork !!!!

do u think the price is in the right range? and i know trailprotrailpro local to me. do u know a local place for porting my head and intake manifold?

shortline10
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
do u think the price is in the right range? and i know trailprotrailpro local to me. do u know a local place for porting my head and intake manifold?

Custome 1 off cranks are expensive so the price is OK . M.A.M. in south miami or me for the porting .

miajosh
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Custome 1 off cranks are expensive so the price is OK . M.A.M. in south miami or me for the porting .

oh i know grant . shoulda thought of that. lol pm me with a price for the porting for carb n manifold.

Shorty
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Could you port a atc 110 head? If so pm me with a price.

Dirtcrasher
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Power doesn't come cheap, and unfortunately I am (and maybe yourself) a HUGE fan of all the 86/87 200X updates. 550$ is allot of cash, but 2 years ago I dropped 10,000$ in parts alonbe and have little to show for it. All I gained was some 350X hdlts and some discontinued or soon to be parts. Thank GOD I had money then........

Get a price on 5 cranks, see if any other guys will pony up the c ash, but you will be well on your way to a very quick 200X.........

I have some cams and 28MM carbs (brand new FS 28MM Mik) but a stroker would be awesome!!

I would (probably-maybe) ask for a 3MM stroker, ask Shortline for his input; And try to keep it reliable while improving it. I lightened my flywheel myself and It SCREWS at top end (right with a strong OEM 350X) We want to keep that fine edge of reliability and a screamer :D NO bottom end and the jetting is still way off............... Now it's 95 degrees and humid so forget testing.....

I have not gave up hope on this project yet and I want to machine my own holes but I have to do ALLOT or reading and ask questions once I know my arse from my elbow. At that point, I'll call TC racing and tell him what I'm doing and ask if it's correct.

I'd rather buyy more dial indicators, then send a part out and learn nothing from the build.

I, for the life of me have no idea how a 3 angle valve seat is cut - I need to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Bridgeport mill so I assume I'm halfway there but the cutter depth etc has me baffled. Unless you were in contact within a shop or worked in one, IDK how it's all done..........

I have 7 200X motors I will gladly BLOW UP trying but I wan5t POWER!! It's such a nice trike with awesome handling!!

Thats why I asked shorstline for any 86/87 goodies but IDT he hasd much :(

miajosh
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Power doesn't come cheap, and unfortunately I am (and maybe yourself) a HUGE fan of all the 86/87 200X updates. 550$ is allot of cash, but 2 years ago I dropped 10,000$ in parts alonbe and have little to show for it. All I gained was some 350X hdlts and some discontinued or soon to be parts. Thank GOD I had money then........

Get a price on 5 cranks, see if any other guys will pony up the c ash, but you will be well on your way to a very quick 200X.........

I have some cams and 28MM carbs (brand new FS 28MM Mik) but a stroker would be awesome!!

I would (probably-maybe) ask for a 3MM stroker, ask Shortline for his input; And try to keep it reliable while improving it. I lightened my flywheel myself and It SCREWS at top end (right with a strong OEM 350X) We want to keep that fine edge of reliability and a screamer :D NO bottom end and the jetting is still way off............... Now it's 95 degrees and humid so forget testing.....

I have not gave up hope on this project yet and I want to machine my own holes but I have to do ALLOT or reading and ask questions once I know my arse from my elbow. At that point, I'll call TC racing and tell him what I'm doing and ask if it's correct.

I'd rather buyy more dial indicators, then send a part out and learn nothing from the build.

I, for the life of me have no idea how a 3 angle valve seat is cut - I need to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Bridgeport mill so I assume I'm halfway there but the cutter depth etc has me baffled. Unless you were in contact within a shop or worked in one, IDK how it's all done..........

I have 7 200X motors I will gladly BLOW UP trying but I wan5t POWER!! It's such a nice trike with awesome handling!!

Thats why I asked shorstline for any 86/87 goodies but IDT he hasd much :(

yea i get u but i gotta find 5 people on here that would be willing to do something like this. adn i still gotta do some research on longet timming chain and if it can be fixed with a piston moded like powroll has that the rist pin is relocated a 2mm lower so u can still use the stock chain or find another morot that has a longer chain that will suit my application. and dont beat trailprotrailpro self up about the 3 angle valve job. i dont know it myself lol. btw ive got a web cam basic upgrade not a mild or race cam but i would like to get something another step up from what i have. are u willing to sell any of urs? if there for 86-87 of coarse.

shortline10
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Why do you need the spacer just have the rod shortened like powroll does and save all the headache . Do a 6mm stroke by moving the crank pin out 3mm for a total of 6mm on the rotation and have the rod shrunk so you can use your desired 86-87 aftermarket piston .

miajosh
07-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Why do you need the spacer just have the rod shortened like powroll does and save all the headache . Do a 6mm stroke by moving the crank pin out 3mm for a total of 6mm on the rotation and have the rod shrunk so you can use your desired 86-87 aftermarket piston .

thank u for the advice. like i said im not done doing my research. this is y i like 3ww. u guys all know trailprotrailpro stuff. and i know im going to go thru with the stroker kit but like i said i want to study the ins and out of the stroker.

Dirtcrasher
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Will Powroll still give us "shrunken rod technology??" on an 86/87??

shortline10
07-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Jig up a stock rod in your press , heat it up in the middle and shrink it 3mm .

miajosh
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM

i call powroll yesterday they dont offer anything for the 86-87. but spoke with falicon and they will do it for the same price.

miajosh
07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Jig up a stock rod in your press , heat it up in the middle and shrink it 3mm .

never seen that done sounds like something i wanna learn.

Dirtcrasher
07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Maybe I could do it??!!

Those know cam sprockets are nothing special, probably #35chain and I bet I could drop a tooth and machine the oblong/oval on the lower to get it to work.........

I forget whats up,top but it may be even easier.........

I only have race cams ans I'm keeping them :D

greenhuman
07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I had a rod shrinking jig the same as Helm & Sons.
It was all made out of 1" steel plate welded and surface ground for trueness.
It was a base and top plate and two upright plates with a plug machined to fit the rods big end diameter and slots in the sides to accept a fake hardened long gudgeon pin and all bolted together with dowels to keep it true when the rod was fitted in.
Put in the press, heat the rod beam thru the side and press away till the stopper is hit.
Simple. Never a rod failure.

miajosh
07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I had a rod shrinking jig the same as Helm & Sons.
It was all made out of 1" steel plate welded and surface ground for trueness.
It was a base and top plate and two upright plates with a plug machined to fit the rods big end diameter and slots in the sides to accept a fake hardened long gudgeon pin and all bolted together with dowels to keep it true when the rod was fitted in.
Put in the press, heat the rod beam thru the side and press away till the stopper is hit.
Simple. Never a rod failure.

is there any way u can get a pic of this jig?

miajosh
07-14-2010, 11:22 AM
so i spoke with falicon, they dont have a smaller rod to use thats y they keep saying use the spacer plate. but he did say they will extend the chain for me i jnus hae to supply 2 timing chains. so i asked repeataly is this gonna cause the chain to be weak or break with harsh riding. he answered no this is something theyve done on the 450r and noone has had a issue with the chains they join so i guess this is my path unless someone is wiling to shrink a rod for me.

big specht
07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
There is a company that sells off set pins for differant strokes with two piece rod bearings I will try to find the link when I get home It's some where over sea's

miajosh
07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
There is a company that sells off set pins for differant strokes with two piece rod bearings I will try to find the link when I get home It's some where over sea's

Wouldn't mind seeing this

shortline10
07-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Maybe I could do it??!!

Those know cam sprockets are nothing special, probably #35chain and I bet I could drop a tooth and machine the oblong/oval on the lower to get it to work.........

I forget whats up,top but it may be even easier.........

I only have race cams ans I'm keeping them :D

Great discovery today . Was measuring different rods this morning and found out the 83-85 200x rod is exactly 3mm shorter than the 86-87 rod and all other measurements are the same , rod pin size and wrist pin all the same just 3mm shorter .

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Great discovery today . Was measuring different rods this morning and found out the 83-85 200x rod is exactly 3mm shorter than the 86-87 rod and all other measurements are the same , rod pin size and wrist pin all the same just 3mm shorter .

Now THAT is just one of the MANY reasons you are so valuable to keeping us moving forwards!

miajosh
07-26-2010, 12:08 AM

so a stock size but powrol made upgraded rod would be my best bet for strengh right? i think this might be happening sooner than i think. im going to see if i find a 86 200x crank somewhere ebay, 3ww, ext. and build this all up so when its all done i can just split cases and swap.

miajosh
07-26-2010, 12:20 AM

just to be right so i know what to say when i call powroll tmrw if i use a 83-85 200x rod witch is 3mill smaller im looking to do a 3mill stroker on my crank correct?

shortline10
07-26-2010, 06:44 AM
just to be right so i know what to say when i call powroll tmrw if i use a 83-85 200x rod witch is 3mill smaller im looking to do a 3mill stroker on my crank correct?

3 mm on the rod will make it 6mm over all stroked . You gain 3mm at the top of the stroke and 3mm on the bottom of the stroke . The crank pin must be moved out 3mm on the cranks turning radious .
Powroll uses stock rods on most of their stroker apps but the 446 xr200 rod is a little beefier but doesnt use the allum shims .

Cuztom Racing
07-26-2010, 08:07 AM
A stroker 200x would be cool. Are you going to see alot of gains, probably not, just a lil more torque and no hp, just dont know if it would be worth the time and money for a one off crank. Heck i would run one if they were readily available. Since they dont, I would rather big bore it but apparently they dont make big bore pistons or i cant find any. If your looking to make ALOT of power vs other 200x's i would look into some bada$$ head porting and big valves. In these small engines ALL your power in is the head!

Also i wouldnt believe everthing powroll had to say, they have a screwed up way of looking at things . They offer all these exotic big motors but in the real world of high horsepower engine builders there not even on the map!

miajosh
07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
A stroker 200x would be cool. Are you going to see alot of gains, probably not, just a lil more torque and no hp, just dont know if it would be worth the time and money for a one off crank. Heck i would run one if they were readily available. Since they dont, I would rather big bore it but apparently they dont make big bore pistons or i cant find any. If your looking to make ALOT of power vs other 200x's i would look into some bada$$ head porting and big valves. In these small engines ALL your power in is the head!

Also i wouldnt believe everthing powroll had to say, they have a screwed up way of looking at things . They offer all these exotic big motors but in the real world of high horsepower engine builders there not even on the map!

powroll seems to know there 3 wheeler stuff pretty good and the dont offer there heavy duty rod anymore but they got the stock ones btu there pricey so im gonna get one off ebay there less than $40. with crank pin shims and bearing and shipping. so thats what ima use. now just have to get a crank and some one to do it cheaper but still donr right. hey shortline want to give it a shot? lol u can start doing strokers.

greenhuman
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
You will get the biggest HP gain using a stroker crank no question. Bigger valves etc are just easier to do and thats why most companies go that way.
I defy anyone to take a run on good stroked 200 and not be impressed.

shortline10
07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
powroll seems to know there 3 wheeler stuff pretty good and the dont offer there heavy duty rod anymore but they got the stock ones btu there pricey so im gonna get one off ebay there less than $40. with crank pin shims and bearing and shipping. so thats what ima use. now just have to get a crank and some one to do it cheaper but still donr right. hey shortline want to give it a shot? lol u can start doing strokers.

I dont have the tooling needed to machine the new hole for the pin .

Cuztom Racing
07-27-2010, 01:43 AM
You will get the biggest HP gain using a stroker crank no question. Bigger valves etc are just easier to do and thats why most companies go that way.
I defy anyone to take a run on good stroked 200 and not be impressed.

Were running up to 12mm stroker cranks and on the dyno we are seeing absolutlely NO increase in horsepower, just a huge jump in torque.. Horsepower is made on the flow bench.

greenhuman
07-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Are we talking 12mm ATC200's here?
I thought we were talking about getting a 200 to go faster. Stroked crank thats it.
Getting from point A to B the quickest I'd rather have torque anyday.
I'm not here to argue. I don't no nuffin anyway.
Let's line up 70's one day.

miajosh
07-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Were running up to 12mm stroker cranks and on the dyno we are seeing absolutlely NO increase in horsepower, just a huge jump in torque.. Horsepower is made on the flow bench.

just remember trailprotrailpro doing 300ft runs with big motors were talking about a 200x and anybit helps on these motors trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro a new spark plug and i feel a nice difference. and torque is deffint must to get around.