PDA

View Full Version : Looked at a YT175 Tri-moto. What a wasted trip.

bobotech
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Edit: This post is really old, thread was bumped because of new ad on CL, see 2nd page.

So I saw in Craigslist an ad for a YT175 that "ran the last time they used it" and a parts bike. The 175 looked complete and the parts bike looked like a YT125. I figured I could use the YT125 as a parts bike and/or fix it up and get it running.

The woman was asking 400 for the pair. I was thinking that I would offer 275 and pay 300 for the pair depending on how well the 175 ran.

The house is way out there. Took about 1/2 hour to get to the person's house.

Once I got there, the woman seemed to be almost hostile. I can't put my finger on it but she wasn't cheery or friendly like you would expect someone to be.

So we go out to the trikes. The 125 is under a tarp and is missing the engine/tranny/and most of the drive train parts. The plastics were all cracked/broken on the 125 so I would not want to use them. The only good thing on the 125 were the tires which I did want for my current 125 which has street tires.

Then we looked at the 175. I was excited because of the added power and the front suspension. Turned out that the bike needed some work. Had a missing rear brake handle assembly on the left side. Just the cable was hanging out in the wind. The front fender was broken and reattached with some pop-rivets, will need to be replaced. The rear plastics looked okay but the seat was torn up a bit. Then we tried to start it. And tried to start it. And tried to start it. Over and Over.

We must have pulled the rip cord about 100 times trying to start the trike. PLayed with the choke and the gas. We think we flooded it because after a while, gas started pouring out of the top vent. Guess the carb was all hosed up. The woman insisted that the trike ran this morning and her husband had gotten it runinng. She said that it was hard to start but her husband was 300 pounds and benches like 400 so he probably was able to start it. WTF?

Oh yeah, the 175 was completely missing the oil injector assembly as well.

So my buddy and I mulled it over. The tires on the 175 were nice and new. She did get them replaced about a year ago.

There is no title for the trike.

Now we decided to offer her a price. She was asking 400 on CL for the pair of them. My buddy and I then decided to offer her 200 bux since the 175 wasn't running, had broken front plastics, missing parts for the brake assembly, needed a carb rebuild, and some other assorted stuff. The 125 parts bike wasn't that great of a deal sweetener since all the good stuff was already missing on it.

As soon as I pulled out the wad of 20s and offered her 200 for the trike, she got very offended and said "Thank you for taking the time to come out there but I will keep the trikes. " and then had the gall to ask us to put the tarp back over the trikes and help her push it back. She didn't even hint at an acceptable offer, she just got all butthurt about the offer and that was the end of the deal for her.

Wow.

Are non-running YT175s with some missing parts really worth 400 bux?

Louis Mielke
07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
No they're not worth $400. Sounds like she had unrealistic ideas of what her stuff was worth. May have had better dealings with the husband.

bobotech
07-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Well apparently her husband works the graveyard and she wasn't willing to wake him up to get the trike started for us. LOL

ATCeeya
07-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I would have hit them for half the asking price as well if they were as you described. I wouldnt be suprised if they eventually sell for only 200. Once a bunch of people see them, make that offer and dont go higher she will maybe get the hint. I have made offers before, been denied, then had friends go back and make the same or even LESSER offers and had them come over with my new toy. Had it happen like that more than once too. Depends how worth it they are to you but chances are something better will come along anyways.

bobotech
07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Fun update time today!!

Got an email from the seller:

The clutch handle was there when you came to visit and removed while here. My husband drove the bike in them morning and yet it disaooeared when you came otu and you pointed it out even. You were the only ones looking that morning. Just to let you know that we know you stole it.

LOL!! She thinks I stole a 4 dollar clutch lever!! Well if you look at the ad on craigslist that is still posted, you can plainly see that the brake lever is missing in her own photo!

200XMichigan
07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
You should let her know Yamaha stole the clutch lever because it never came with one. Its an auto-clutch. Tell her to call Yamaha and ask where her clutch lever is. I paid $200 for mine that is in near perfect condition with only small scratches on the plastic and just needed the carb cleaned and general maintenance. However it was missing the clutch lever too, but it did come with a snazzy rear brake lever instead.

cox
07-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Clutch lever!!! lol, That prolly why it wouldnt start!! Nothing like icing on the cake.......

Pafrig
07-14-2010, 03:21 PM
waaoowwwwwwww thats funny.

Pafrig
07-14-2010, 03:23 PM
send her the link to this thread.

thestud25
07-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Hahaha, point out the fact that it is missing in the picture, and then tell her you have a spare that you would sell her!

cox
07-14-2010, 04:40 PM
^^^^ ha ha ha, thats the best!!!^^^^

Then send her a link to this thread....... LMFAO

trikes4life
07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
dude that made my day lmao

bobotech
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
BTW for anyone who is curious, here is the ad: http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/1825819287.html

Check out the pictures. :)

atc350xer
07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I see trailpro's

puggerton03
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I just e-mailed them and asked where the clutch lever is. LOLOLOLOL!

thestud25
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM

I did too! Here is my message.....

"Nice trikes. Are they still available? I have $400.00 cash. I do have one question, do you have the clutch lever?

~J"

84atc200
07-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Hahahaha thats great!

thestud25
07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Here is the Reply I just got!!

Some CL asshole who visited stole the clutch lever when he was offering me $50 for the bikes and wasting my time thinking I was a stupid female not knowing what the bikes were worth. I did not realize that he had taken it until someone pointed it out as I do not ride the bike. So I will take $350 cash firm and you can buy a new clutch lever they sell cheap at any bike store that sells parts.

Without the clutche lever the running bike is a rough start. The second bike has no engine but still has a lof of usuable parts. Please let me know if you are interested in paying what I am asking so we do not waste time again.

There is no title for them. They are off road and are being sold as such. They were a gift and our house burned down last October so I do not have a title in hand. If this is a problem and not interested then fine. I will just keep them and use them around the farm for work bikes to drag hay carts around. I am tired of people offering me less then what I asking as I have already dropped the price. If they keep offering me peanuts then I will keep them. I am not desperate to sell.

Sincerely,
Margo

cox
07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
This thread = FTW!!!

You guys are super funny.

bobotech
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Some CL asshole? Now I'm confused. I was the one that pointed out that the trike was missing the brake lever but I called it a clutch lever by mistake. LOL So maybe she was meaning that someone else before me "took the clutch" lever and meant to email that person instead of me.

LOL

She still hasn't responded to me though.

JayBone
07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
You could have gotten those trikes for some crack i bet. ha ha Sounds like she was running low on da rock~!

thestud25
07-15-2010, 04:03 PM
You could have gotten those trikes for some crack i bet. ha ha Sounds like she was running low on da rock~!

No you most certainly could not have.....unless the crack rock could pull a hay wagon! She knows what these beauties are worth!! Albeit that she got them for FREE! One runs, kind of, well not right now, it could in the future.

BIGREDGUY
07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
HAHA, this is great!

trikes4life
07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
OMG best thread ever!!!!!!!

Pafrig
07-16-2010, 01:53 AM
....She might have some trouble pulling hay around without a clutch lever.....

Xpress
07-16-2010, 02:19 AM
LOL I love people like this :D

I'm sending an email.

bobotech
07-16-2010, 03:37 AM
Funny update to this story. I have a friend who is a big horse person and I called her yesterday to ask if she knew this person. She said that she did and she used to work for the woman's mom. She really didn't badmouth the woman I dealt with but did say that she would have expected that kind of behavior from the woman's mom. She did mention that the woman was "different".

So I happen to be friends with a woman who worked for the crazy lady's mom. What a small world.

D-dub
10-23-2010, 09:00 PM
You meet the best and brightest on Craigslist!

bobotech
05-15-2011, 03:34 AM
OLD THREAD ALERT.

Can you belive that there is an update to this thread after nearly a year now? I was browsing craigslist and came across this ad:
http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2379196600.html

Yamaha 175 motortrike and bonus parts trike - $250 (north Spokane)
Date: 2011-05-13, 11:52AM PDT
Reply to: sale-re7yd-2379196600@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
We had it running last few summers, but it needs some minor repairs like needs a new clutch handle. One bike runs and good shape for use around the farm or home with some minor damage but nothing that will keep it from running fine. The second parts bike is mostly a frame, no engine.

Not licensed for road use. We have used as a toy around the farm for visiting relatives, but no more kids visiting lately.

Price is FIRM. Not accepting offers at this time. If not sold by the end of the summer then will consider offers then.

Will trade for one of these. Please send photos. 1. horse quality hay delivered and stacked with our help. 2. A running, older, riding lawn mower. 3. Horse tack. What do you have? 4. Farm utility trailer. 5. Other farm items? What do you have?

The first three photos are of the bike with the engine. Last one is of the parts bike. Ride the one or use both for parts. Tires are good on both.

Email is the best way to reach me. Please do not ask me to call you back as I am rarely near a phone. Thanks.

LOL@"Price is firm". I offered her 200 last year and she didn't even blink and ran us off. Funny thing is that I would have considered moving up to 225 if she countered with 250 back then.

Same crazy lady. I love how she says that if it doesn't sell by the end of the summer, she will consider offers. Duh, these kind of vehicles sell best now, not at the end of the summer!!

Wow.

taz
05-15-2011, 07:47 AM
some people are just realy hard headed!!!!i have delt with a guy around here had 200s didn't run with a bad motor and dirt bike front end wanted $200 i said no way was talking to him this spring said $45 i said i didn't want it after i got there because the motor was now missing. he said he really wanted to get it out of there. so i said i will give you what i have in my pocket and you have to help me load it !!!!!!!!got it for $15 frame is perfect and the rearend is good fenders are usable . just goes to show you how people think there stuff is worth big money even when it isn't

RubberSalt
05-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I got my 175 for $200... Had it running for a little less than 2 days and the crank went out. Got another motor for $150.

Kfx-xc-racer88
05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
omg i want to e-mail her!!!! wonder if she'll ship it to the UK for me???? lol

RubberSalt
05-15-2011, 01:56 PM
We should all hit her up and offer her like $100 lol