PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r no spark

bigbadktm
07-12-2010, 12:16 AM
ok so i bought this bike with no spark, didn't know that at the time, just bought it not running for unknown issues. But enough about that, I cannot get spark after replacing just about everything electrical. So far I have replaced the stator, the coil, the on/off switch, the CDI, essentially everything but the wiring harness and the voltage regulator.

I found out the old stator was shot after removing it and seeing its condition, and hoped that that would have been the culprit. I can now see the light come on when I kick it over, just no freaking spark. I am getting so irritated all I want to do is ride this puppy.

So I don't have an ohm meter nor do I really know how to use one, but what else can I check or replace that I haven't already. Could I have possibly gotten 2 bad CDI units in a row, one being the original and the second being my ebay special?

Help is greatly appreciated, and much needed, thanks :cry:

juggaloclownz18
07-12-2010, 07:51 AM
check your wiring/ground and also the wire that goes from the coil to the plug, sometimes the boot or cable goes bad on it.... I would really start with learning how to use a multi-meter though cause that will save you all this trouble and all the money you have already spent on it..... There pretty easy to use once you get one and try to figure it out....

harryredtrike
07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
did you change the plug?

bigbadktm
07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
forgot to mention, 2 brand new plugs in case 1 was bad. checked the ground and it was fine, I just need to find somebody to help me with this beast of a nightmare. really need to find my multi meter or buy a new one too.

bigbadktm
07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
anybody else have any idea what to check whether it be with a multi meter or ?? gonna pick up a meter this weekend from the depot

MonroeMike
07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Chapter 15.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc250r_85-86_servicemanual.pdf

bigbadktm
07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Found my spark, just couldn't see it in the direct sunlight, thanks for all the help