PDA

View Full Version : cold weather riding gear help

sbjones73
07-11-2010, 11:48 PM
i know that this is like way early, but now is the time to buy the stuff if you can find it.

so here is my question. what kind of gear do you all recomend for cold winter riding. i will be doing ice racing again this year. and on the lake it gets cold. like 4 degree's if not colder and the wind is a killer.

my main problem is my feet and hands. but i think if i keep the rest of my body waramer, then my feet and hands will be alright.

i have been thinking of going with the cold wave gear, but need some input here.

thanks

Thorpe
07-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Cannot say from personal experience, but my wife had wicked frozen feet from snowboarding... Got her a set of these, and made a world of difference... Expensive, but worth the money!!!!!!

http://www.cozywinters.com/hotronic/?referrer=go&gclid=CLKPmrCL5aICFQfyDAodTiSYTA

BIGREDGUY
07-12-2010, 12:03 AM
All of my snowmobiling gear is Castle X and I am yet to be disappointed.

Chillian
07-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I use the coldwave gear, it is great priced and good quality. Used it all last season made a big diffrence over my old stuff. doing 100 on the lake while sleding i was fine and that is in single digits(temps). As far as hands go you can get a set of hot grips to help out, also handguards help block alot of wind. But for hands and feet if you want you can use those heat packs order em online by the box and there pretty cheap.

cox
07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Thats not to cold, lol. Up here when its really cold, i use insulated coveralls or summer coveralls with a few sweaters and tshirts on under. That way if you get to hot you can take one off. or to cold you put one on, and the layers pretty much kill the wind. depending on what you use.

David komatina
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Ok i lived in northern wisconsin for yrs what works for me is layers thats the best way to keep warm not too many layers though your body still needs too breath a little hands and feet u need 100% wool sox against the skin for feet two pairs should do it. Hands i whare mitens they take a little geting used too while racing but u will b ok u want 100% wool liners againt the skin and a full leather outer also when racing have lots of exstra pairs of liners and sox on hand and have someone warm them in the truck while you run your laps after each heat change into the warm ones it works you also need too keep your core temp high so get a camel back fill it with your choice of hot drink like tea or something it works if your core is to cold then your outer exstremeties wont stay warm so basicley keep your core hot and you wont get cold one more thing i hipe myself up before a race jump around get wild a little it helps. No matter how mutch money you spend on clothes too keep warm wont help unless u keep your body temp up u can stay warm with two layers no problem as long as u keep your core warm.

sbjones73
07-13-2010, 08:23 PM
see in the past i got some pretty bad frost bite while in the military. and ever since then i have had problems with cold on my feet.

MTS
07-13-2010, 08:52 PM
a pair of wind-river -100 boots, i Swear by these things,,,i can wear the bare foot in -30 and my feet still sweat, Some good overall style pants with a light Sled jacket in a t-shirt, the overalls kills the wind on the chest but lets you wear a lighter jacket to keep from overheating....and of course a neckwarmer and belaclava...and GOOD gloves...Wind breakes on the bars help alot....Of course heated grips are the way to go, i have some klim and arctiva gloves...bout 80-100 bucks a pair...keep a spare pair tucked under the bib on the pants and under the coat for quick change!!

haggard 2hundie
07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
my neck must be redder than you guys , carhart gear all day! and pull on northern boots.

Chillian
07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
my neck must be redder than you guys , carhart gear all day! and pull on northern boots.

That's what i wore as well while snowmobiling, only problem with it is when it starts to get wet other wise it was great.

And for the canadians the temps i said as far as single digits are F not C. So that would be around -15c that is avg temp. Nites -10f normal -23c for you guys.. And of course sometimes warmer or colder.

I stand behind the coldwave gear thou, after i got mine the wife switched too. It's really nice for the price.

200XMichigan
07-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Layers and Carhart pants. I got a set of poly propylene thermal underwear from an army surplus store. Wear those over a thin pair of wool blend thermals. Couple other layers on top, whatever jacket is near the door. And just some work boots that are gore-tex (or the generic equivalent) and some good socks. I was thinking of running a set of heated grips on a twist throttle. My thumb always got cold.

JayBone
07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
I wear long johns, jeans & a set of cheap coveralls,something to cover my neck, good gloves and a pair of boots i bought while i was in the military. (I forget the name) but they kick azz.. and to top it off a 30 pack of natural lights.

I actually only ride up the street and hang in my friends barn he has no heat. ha!

keister
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Carhartt bibs and jacket or just a one piece zip-up Carhartt coverall. That is the best I have found for repelling whatever the elements have in store.
The -100 boots are worth it. When it comes to cold weather gear, you get what you pay for.
Insulated Muck Boots from Tractor Supply seem to do the trick on my feet.