PDA

View Full Version : '86 250es electrical questions.....picked up for $100 (pics attached)

caldera
07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Finished restoring my '84 200s then saw this on the side of the road for sale. Picked up this 1986 big red 250es for $100 today. Guy said it needed a new carb but all I had to do was clean it out, just a wasp nest in the fuel intake, cleaned out nicely; however, the wiring harness doesn't look like it's in so good of shape. I have no spark and I was wondering if anyone knows how to test the stator to make sure it's producing fire before I run out and try to spend money on new electrical parts. I've attached a few pictures.....one thing I question is the plug on the front rack assembly. Is that just an accessory plug that remains uncapped? I know something must be grounded out somewhere for me to not have spark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

harryredtrike
07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
electrical is time consuming,get a manual(available for download)on here.go through each circuit one by one with a quality multimeter and check your parts.when you do this only do one thing at a time dont get sidetracked and do multiple things or have multiple people working on different systems.

3wheelsinPA
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Picture one makes me think it's being jumped at the relay to turn it over. This simple fix has gotten several reds running- look behind the right footpeg, there are two wires attached to the motor there under a small plate. You'll need a wrench to remove the bolt holding the plate. If those wires are loose or disconnected it won't turn over with the starter switch and if you kick it or jump the starter relay it won't have spark.

Thorpe
07-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Picture 2 and 3 are an accessory plug... (kinda like a cig lighter in your car) It wont cause you any problems... If you need close up pics, let me know, I have my BR torn apart in the garage....

caldera
07-12-2010, 01:39 AM
no, that first pic is just the wiring harness I had taken all the tape off to expose the wires. The tape seemed to be scorched pretty bad, so I checked out the wires to make sure nothing was melted or exposed. The other 2 atc's I've torn down and rebuilt didn't have electric start....so troubleshooting all the relays are a real headache for me. I'll still check those wires behind that plate tho...it's a start. thanks

CRAZY70MAN
07-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Finished restoring my '84 200s then saw this on the side of the road for sale. Picked up this 1986 big red 250es for $100 today. Guy said it needed a new carb but all I had to do was clean it out, just a wasp nest in the fuel intake, cleaned out nicely; however, the wiring harness doesn't look like it's in so good of shape. I have no spark and I was wondering if anyone knows how to test the stator to make sure it's producing fire before I run out and try to spend money on new electrical parts. I've attached a few pictures.....one thing I question is the plug on the front rack assembly. Is that just an accessory plug that remains uncapped? I know something must be grounded out somewhere for me to not have spark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What a great deal...........I just had some problems on my 84 red......cleaned cdi. Make sure plug ends are in contact with wire and plug wire is good with new plug. Check switch as well. Mine was the cdi unfortunately.....good luck, what a deal man!!

caldera
07-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Well I spent the better part of the day going through the wiring harness on this thing. Checked out the neutral and reverse indicator wires and had a loose connection on one and fixed that, but still have no fire. I managed to get the starter relay to work along with the start switch, so the starter turns over the engine, but no spark. Does anyone know how to test the cdi, ignition coil, and voltage regulator with a electrical tester before I go sink money into new components?

mellomushroom66
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm going through the same exact thing with my 86 Big Red, from what I'v read: to test the stator, find the black/red wire that has a plug near the cdi, unplug that wire & check for 50-200 ohms beteween that wire and a good ground. I friend of mine owns a atv shop and warned me that the starter gears that go beteween the starter and flywheel are weak and prone to having teeth break off and fall down in the motor near the stator, resulting in damage to the stator. Thats what happened to mine, so its something to look in to. Hope this helps.

EarlyBronocGuy
07-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Make sure it's in neutral and the kill switch is in "run". Any constant ground on the primary side of the coil will cause a no-start condition. Ohm out the plug wire, it should be nearly a short. Try a known, good spark plug before you tear into the harness or throw money at new parts.

Of all 5 ATC's I've restored so far, they've all started and ran with just a good cleaning of wire terminals and connections (and fixing a cut wire or two), have not had to replace a single electronic component.

Dirtcrasher
07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
It's rarely a big issue, the neutral switch, on/off switch and on/off on the bars.

You'll need a wiring diagram (you'll shake your head at.....) and just start tracing power.

Once you hear the solenoid go "click", you'll know your on the right path :D

Get a good battery, use a 1" wrench and jump the 2 10MM nuts on the solenoid and it will turn over, then you have to figure out why it has no spark which is the other easy crap.........

caldera
07-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I've already gotten to the point where I can use the start switch on the handle bars, so jumping the solenoid is not the issue. I've attached a few pics to this post. It seems some of the components were subjected to heat, which boggles my mind because they were out of the way of the engine and far from the muffler, but all the wires and contacts test for continuity. Guess I'll have to open a new paypal account and go ebay hunting. Been trying to shy away from that being that my last account got hacked into. Damn it why did ebay have to do away with the money order option! Anyways back to the pictures.....in one attatched I discovered the run/stop switch had the ground wire come unsoldered, spliced in a new toggle on/off switch and that still wasn't the problem....at least I know how to read the wiring diagram....been going wire for wire tracing things out.

Dirtcrasher
07-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Good for you!!

A wiring diagram use to baffle me, try reading one from a 20 ton Commercial AC unit in 95 degrees and 100% humidity on top of "Old Navy"; You learn REAL FAST!! :D