PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Big red front shock question

Mr_RPM
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
so i don't have any pics yet but I just got a 1984 big red, and its really clean and nice and ill get some pics up soon, also ill get up some pics of my 110 project.
everything works on it but i have one question.

my front shocks don't seem to offer much travel. if i directly push down on the front end the shocks maybe move an inch. the shocks really don't do much to soften the ride. is this normal? they aren't blown or bouncy, just very stiff and have very limited suspension travel.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes you actually have a good pair of them if they even move that much.:D Mine don't move at all I'm swapping a 200m front end on to it so I can have suspension still putting pieces together but It will be nice when it's done.

Mr_RPM
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
well after some inspection the right fork bushings are shot and the inside tube of the shock wiggles around in the outside tube. its shot, so maybe thats part of it. I dont expect it to be much better after replacing them anyway. i also got a chance to ride it a bit, it runs excellent but its not very fast. My 110 would be right next to it. after my rebuild/hop up im betting my 110 will beat it.
im assuming the 84 big reds were the slowest since its the only 200cc with shaft drive. the others were chain and the 85 was the new 250cc.

still, almost double the size and my 110 feels a bit faster, and handles better. not really impressed with the big red.

Mr_RPM
07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
whats the claimed HP of a 1984 Big red guys?

trikeman78
07-12-2010, 07:08 AM
About 15 hp for the 84 big red. Remember, big red is a workhorse. Not a ripper. You can get some extra power out of them with a performance cam, cobra exhaust, and rejet the carb. The front end on the 84 is just springs and dampers. No oil or air. Tear them apart and you'll see. The most important thing is good unpitted chrome where the upper weldment rides in the lower tube. If the chrome is bad it will eat up new bushings in one season. If not having the correct parts doesnt bother you then swapping the front end from a 200M is a good upgrade

Mr_RPM
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
thankyou, i realize the BR is a worker, but it feels about the same as my stock 110. i just didn't expect that. Since It's technically my dads BR i dont mind. hopefully after my 110 is done i will be able to beat him, that will be quite a surprise, who knows. lol
Thanks for the info on the shocks, i need to download a manual lol. I think we plan on just buying new shocks on ebay, so if I find 200M ones for cheap ill look into that.

Mr_RPM
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
i just tried downloading the big red manual off of this site and i got the first page then 62MB of blank pages. anyone have a download that works?