PDA

View Full Version : 200x troubles

bratstang33
07-10-2010, 09:36 PM
i just recently put on a chinese replica carb on my 83 200x and have had no problems until today. when i do a powerslide to the right i lose throttle like its getting no gas or something. it idles fine and runs ok otherwise. i ride alot in dusty coalmines and dirt roads and clean the air filter regularly. so my question is why does it cut out getting sideways ????

Yamahondaman
07-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Prolly Float Level .....If you swaping end's and GITTEN Sideway's the fuel is not enough in the Bowl .. check it

Xpress
07-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Clean the carb.

ktmbk
07-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I know that some of the people on the boards love those knock off carbs, I havn't had too good experience with them. I know it's a long story but read it out It may have the reason for your problem:
My friend got one for his 200x after he started having problems with his stocker. At first I was suspect with it being that the guy who sold it told him it was jetted for any bike he was going to put it on, especially since the list of bikes it fit was three inches long. I was like, hey it's his money, let him spend it if he really wants to. I should have stopped him. Well we got it, and yea it looked nice - just like the stocker but maybe a little rougher, and with no markings. We put it on and the bike ran within a few kicks, much better than I expected. I thought I may have been wrong, maybe the seller builds the carbs to application since it's true the body has been around forever and does fit a ton of other bikes. Well the first ride showed nothing on top, just died out. We tried everything short of removing the carb to take the bowl off. Air screw, idle screw, needle position, choke settings every thing we did just seemed to make the bike run worse. In the end we gave up on it and the bike sat for over a year.
I finally got tired of it rusting in my yard. I took the stocker carb and rebuilt it, took me about $55 and 5 hours over 2 weeks to do, but when it was done you would think it was only a year old carb freshly rebuilt looking at it, not 25+ years on it. I put it on the bike, and it started second kick. I set the idle and drove it and it felt great.
After i was done my interest got the better of me and I opened the knock off he bought. it was similar but not exact to the stock one. I found it interesting that there was so much rust on and in such a new carb. Things were rusted on it that wasn't rusted on the 25 year old one. that's when I got the surprise, in addition to all the rust in the bowl, the main jet was rusted solid, what? yea it was rusted shut.....
I never knew that a brass jet could rust.... unless.......no.... couldn't be......
well I tried to clean it a little to try and find it's size, didn't have any markings, I don't recall any markings on the pilot as well, the oriface tube was clogged with corrosion, there was neither the metal or plastic splash plate the stock one came with. I gave it a quick cleaning to try to get rid of most of the corrosion that seemed to be everywhere on it.

Well back to the problem, taking what I found in the other one, I believe the problem may be corrosion in the carb. Assuming everything else is in working order I think something is blocking the flow of gas, either into the bowl leaving a low level that splashes around when you slide, or maybe in the bowl there's something that moves around when you slide and it blocks some passage.
Take the carb off and check everything. If you can give it a good cleaning it couldn't hurt. Be sure to blow out all the passages with spray carb cleaner and air. Check the main and the emulsion tube to be sure they are clear (I'm calling the emulsion tube the tube the main mounts into the body on - when you pull it out you should find there is a bunch of little holes in that tube). Be sure to remove the float and needle and inspect and clean as needed and check all the settings. Finally add a fuel filter on the fuel line you don't know what could be in that tank after all this time, even a cheap lawnmower one from home depo is better than nothing. To think of it it may help to also flush out the tank and look over the screen in it. I just had another bike I rebuilt the carb in give me problems because of those jelly things that was in the gas after it sat for a while. nothing like having to redo your work for something silly like that. I never would have figured that out if I didn't put clear fuel hose on it.
good luck, let us know what you find.

bratstang33
07-11-2010, 05:22 PM
hey thanks for the input. am going to pull it off today and see whats up. just sucks that its only a few weeks old and having problems ............