PDA

View Full Version : 85' Tecate tdc/stador timing?

hang&rattle
07-10-2010, 01:46 AM
So the stador went bad and it was a newer one installed improperly. The phillip head screws were stripped so they didn't tighten them down and the the stator had play in it (see the damaged coils in the picture). So have a spare and see in manuel how to line all the stator, flywheel assymbly up. Now my buddy said if the stador went out I'd have to do a top dead center timing. That entails pulling the head and a special TDC timing tool. So do I have to re-time everything? or when a stador goes out, can I just replace it and get down the road?

Vootie
07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
No TDC needed, just line up the timing marks on the new stator. If your new stator is a Ricky stator, it will have slots like the one you are holding has (not sure if the stockers do too). There should be marks and numbers on the stator if it is adjustable (with the slots) and there should also be a mark on the case of the engine. Line these marks up at 0 for stock timing and tighten the stator down.

hang&rattle
07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Thank you Vootie, whew, big sigh of relief, I'll be riding by noon. Have an anual event called 'Dutton fun day' & my son is excited to run around town on his trike, thank you for answering, this trike is only possible to own because of experienced folk like you, we have no trike mechanics in Montana.

Vootie
07-10-2010, 05:52 PM
No problem rattle. I see you got it running, good deal.