PDA

View Full Version : I need Help with my 1984 200 BRes...Please!

coolpool
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
This is my first machine and I joined this forum to access the experts in the three wheeler world. I posted this same question yesterday and only got one response, (thanks to that replier). Can I get a little help with my starting problem. Are there any common reasons for an electric start system to work one day and not the next? Battery is charged, fuses are good, neutral and reverse lights operating normally. Come on folks, I know a lot of you have seen pretty much everything there is to see on these pieces of history. I have the wiring diagram in front of me now. Can't wait to start riding this thing!

rbaral233
07-09-2010, 10:13 AM
first of all welcome to the board. i was the same way when i first joined last year and let me tell you the combined experience, wealth of knowledge, and all around brain power of the people on this site is just phenomenal. this is easily the best trike site around.

also lets see some pics of this br... always nice to check out everyone else's rides...

as for your question, star with the easy stuff. check all of your connections, make sure they are clean, and all grounds are in the right spot. next check your neutral/reverse plugs on the right side case of the engine. they can come loose or off and that will stop you from being able to start it. third i have heard with the start button on the 200 fails sometimes... try taking the starter switch assembly apart and cleaning it out and making sure its working, etc etc. from their if its still not starting you may need to start looking deeper. it could be your cdi, your ignition coil, etc etc etc. its a place to start.... keep us updated and just remember the more information you give us the more we can help.

and dont get discouraged if you see your post has alot of hits and no replys. everyone reads everything and if they know how to fix it or help at all we will reply and tell you, if not we simply dont know the answer.. good luck

86trizinger
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Use a test light and see if the starter selenoid is getting a signal first.

Chillian
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Normally it is a bad ground or bad connection in your wire harness. Start by taking your harness apart and cleaning the contacts. It is possible that the starter itself may need a rebuild(brushes), Also the starter grounds through the chassis so it is a good idea to remove the starter and clean the tabs on the starter where the bolts go through(that is where it grounds).... Normally though it is just a dirty ground i would start at the starter and work my way outwards. Just do 1 connection at a time if your worried about not remembering where they go. Go pick up some electrical grease as well and use it on your connections. You have to remember that machine is 26 years old, so me personally(my degree is electrical engineering) i would clean all the connections.

coolpool
07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Did I mention that the bike starts right up with the pull start. That should rule out the CDI? I'll post a pic when I figure out how. I'm going to jump the starter tonight to rule that out. Also I have no power to either side of the starter switch when the key is on.

mtsnieg
07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Check with a test light to make sure you have power at the starter when you hit the switch. I had the a simular problem, but I always had power at the starter when I should. Turned out the brushes wher seized and pretty crommy lookin. I cleaned the starter and replaced the brushes, starts every time now.

Thorpe
07-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Open the starter up... As much weather and mud as these machines have seen, the brush plates in the starter are usually falling apart. Thats what my BR starter was doing, took it apart, and the starter was done for... Got a new on on Epay for 50 bucks or so...