PDA

View Full Version : gas filling up my exhaust Tri-Z

RiJiD-WILL
07-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I have a 85 1/2 tri-Z that I just got recently on trade it started and he ran it up the driveway it sounded like it was rich and drowning but I knew this going into it, he told me there is a new topend and he cleaned the carb.
anyway I fixed a oil leak from the shifter shaft. now I am working on getting the carb adjusted and I fill her up with gas leave her overnight with both petcock's turned on accidentally and I noticed gas on the floor in the morning I thought the Tri-Z needed a pump to deliver the fuel?
the bike runs well started getting way lean but I think thats because its low on fuel.

I took off the exhaust drained alot of gas out let it dry out and put her back on but before I put more gas in I was wondering if that much fuel filling up the exhaust is normal with the petcock being left open by accident, or if there is something I should check out the? float level?

the rubber boot on the top of the carb that the throttle cable goes through has a small crack in it would that let air into the mix and lean it out?

yesterday it drove great just had a high Idle? the throttle cable was also really tight but I haven't ridden it after loosening it.

RiJiD-WILL
07-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I mixed some gas and put maybe a half gallon in got the Idle almost right on but the air Idle screw is all the way in there is a little bit of air getting in I think from the old lines that were not replaced that go from the tank to the pump. damn this thing is FAST!!!! haha Three and FAST are both 4 letter words.

hopefully I remember to keep the petcock shut tonight and I will check the exhaust tomorrow hopefully no leak.

tecat-z
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
A tri-z should never pour gas onto the floor due to leaving the petcock in the ON position. Even if you have a bad needle set.........The reason for this is due to you having a bad fuel pump diaphram. It's a 2-way pump that can fail on one or both sides. Once a prime is established it will continue to siphon the tank dry even after engine vacuum has come to an end when engine is off. Think of it as the same way you siphon a fuel tank of a vehicle. I always turn off the fuel valve on gravity systems, but on my Tri-z's, with a properly functioning pump. It's not necessary cause the pump itself is essiantly a fuel shut off. This is the reason sleds typically don't have a petcock type shutoff and the first thing any 2 stroke carbureted sled owner will check when they experience "WET" motor conditions.

RiJiD-WILL
07-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Right on! thanks I will look for a diaphram and run the bike till its outta gas Darn gotta ride it some more.

is there a rebuild kit I should buy for the pump or should I just replace the diaphram?

RiJiD-WILL
07-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I found the kit from a search here. is this all I should Need? 38w-w1391-01-00 found it for 22.48$ @ NWvintage cycle parts.

RiJiD-WILL
07-09-2010, 07:12 PM
my local parts guy does'nt have the kit and said that the diaphragms werent Avail anymore. but he has a couple fuel pumps there for 20$ a piece should I just buy the entire pump one or try this rebuild kit first. or both and then I will have a spare..?? HMMMm