PDA

View Full Version : just bought a mint 86r but needdd too know something

Whychen
09-10-2003, 06:06 AM
gday everyone

i just picked up a mint 86r which is rare as i live in australia i paid 3000aus for it the problem is this thing is bone stock hardly ridden it idles and revs perfect but has a knocking sound which sounds like is coming from the bottom end wat im wondering is could it be a bearing ruined from sittin so long not being ridden im new to 2strokes only had 4strokes im hoping its not serious like it couldnt be this thing is mint any help would be much appreciated thanks heaps.
Andrew

Ace Mon
09-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Indeed It could be a rod bearing . I would Immeadiatley change the oil , and before each ride warm it up a bit . None of this will fix the problem mind you . I hope it isnt but if it is a bearing handle it as soon as possible .

KASEY
09-10-2003, 10:13 AM
CHANGING the oil will not have any effect on the rod or crank bearings ,, rem its a 2 stroke,,,, the hardest part in trying to figure out where the knock is coming from,,,, if its in the motor it will be there even when the trans is in gear,, if it goes away when you are in gear not moving i would say the tranny if its either one its pretty inportant to resolve it soon ,,,while it is still intact,,,, its get spendy when they start throwing parts,,,,,,

86250RZ
09-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Guy's you don't think it just might be that he is new to R's and and it just the sound of the piston going up and down. When my Bro bought his first R a few years ago he swore his was knocking, so I went to his house and it was just as I thought it was just the piston going up and down. If you are used to 4 strokes then A 2 stroke 250R definitely sounds like it's knocking. My 2 R's have been making that sound from day one and run perfect and I run the crap out of mine, full throttle 90% of the time. Hope this helps.

250rmanfmf
09-10-2003, 09:11 PM
my 84 250r had a knock sound towards the transmission, and never got worse or anything and rode it hard for a year with no problems. there is a little bit of noise of the piston from all the R's I have ridden.