PDA

View Full Version : 185S electrical - NEED HELP!

atctim
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
OK guys - here is what I have. 1983 ATC185s. It starts right up and runs - but it was burning up CDI's like crazy. I actually went through 3 of them trouble shooting. It will run for a bit then when I would try to restart it - it will have very, very weak spark. A new CDI box gets spark back where it should be and it will run fine.

The one thing that stands out is that when it runs - the headlight was extra bright - like to the point of I don;t know why it was not popping. I figured I would just replace everything and get this problem fixed. So last night I replaced the entire wiring harness with another one I bought on ebay - then replaced the CDI with a known good one I had - then replaced the stator (lighting and ignition). I put it all back together and it fired right up. But now the headlight seems even brighter - so bright in fact that it did pop the bulb. I don't wanna run it much because I don't wanna burn up yet a 4th CDI box.

Anyone know what might be going on with this thing? Could I hook up a voltage regulator to it? Could it be a bad flywheel? That is about the only thing left I did not change - but sure don't think that would have anything to do with it.

Please help me, my head hurts from banging it against the wall!

WilliamJ
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
If you're popping lamps you must be generating too much voltage. That may account for the CDI unit freaking out.You need to put a voltmeter on it to check any power wire / ground will do. Not familiar with the machine but the wiring diagram shows an optional DC power kit with battery and a regulator. If you don't have that kit then the generator is probably faulty.

Bill

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Wiring/ATC185x185Sx200x200Sx80Thru84.jpg

shortline10
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Possibly both hot wires are touching each other in the lighting/motor stator causing extra voltage . Expose the wires and double check them . Sounds like youve done everything else .

atctim
07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Possibly both hot wires are touching each other in the lighting/motor stator causing extra voltage . Expose the wires and double check them . Sounds like youve done everything else .

Can't be - this is new wiring harness start to finish and new lighting / motor stator. I think my next step will be swapping out the flywheel. Could the flywheel be at fault???? I inspected it and all looked normal. Like I said - everything else has been replaced - except the handlebar controls and headlight wires.

harryredtrike
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
dont think its the flywheel.ill bet money its in the on off switch or the headlight switch.im leaning towards the on off switch though.there is a wire in there that grounds out the cdi,ill bet it touching a hot wire

shortline10
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I've never seen a flywheel go bad besides from rust exc but I guess its a possibility . Possibly crossed / touching wires in the switches . The switches come apart and can be inspected if you have a steady hand LOL. Electrical bugs are fun !

84honda200s
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
im also willing to bet its in the switch and/or switches . if you replaced everything else thats probably the problem.

atctim
07-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I will check the switch next. I also thought about this - what if someone put a 200E or 200ES flywheel on it. Anyone know if they have the same number of magnets that the 185S and non battery models have? Just a thought. Switch will be the first place I look - good thinking.