PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z 250 please help :( !!!!!!!!!!!!

mcskippiee
07-08-2010, 01:03 AM
HI there iam in desperate need of some information regarding my new toy what ive got which is a 1989 yamaha tri-z 250.

rite well to cut a long story short. QUESTION 1.. I would like to know if i can somehow convert my forward kickstarter and make it kick backwards as a normal bike would. ????

QUESTION 2. With my tri-z being a forward kick it has damaged the side casing and put a crack down it why could this be ? :( ????

QUESTION 3. What would i need to do or what could be done to sercure this cracking from happening in the future and were could i get my hands on a new side casing for it ????

QUESTION 4. Please could anyone tell me if i can put any different engines into my tri-z if so which ones can fit in and will any of the newer engine models fit in.????

THANKYOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY QUERIES ABOUT MY TRI-Z ITS MUCH APPRECIATED IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME OR EVEN GIVE ME A LITTLE ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO IT WILL BE GREAT THANKS ALL ONCE AGAIN. :) I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR REPLYS :) or you could email me with some answers to my direct email address which is.... mcskippiee@hotmail.co.uk thanks

clutchcargo
07-08-2010, 04:21 AM
1.) Not sure what you need to do it, but I think it can be done. Keep in mind you'll have to cut your rear fender for clearance.

2 & 3.) It's a real common problem with the Tri-z's. From what I understand, there are 2 things that cause it to crack. The 1st is that sometimes people forget to install "ALL" of the clutch cover bolts. Especially the ones you can't see behind the kicker cover. The second issue is from contacting the footpeg with the kickstarter when you kick it. I've seen guys install a piece of rubber hose on the peg to help with this or you just be careful.

4.) I believe that certain YZ engines will fit, but not sure what's involved. You can do a search on this site and see what you can find.

Derrick Adams
07-08-2010, 05:59 AM
ClutchCargo is correct. The kicker smacking the footpeg is bad, bad on clutch covers. Slit a small piece of rubber hose and then Zip tie it to your footpeg where the kicker hits it. Some have just slid a hose over the actual kicker.

I believe you can still buy that clutch cover thru Yamaha.

As far as an engine swap, the 83-87 YZ250 engine should bolt-in, as well as some year YZ490's. Anything else will require mods.

zmpolaristech
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
also, if your fuel pump diaphram goes bad , SOMETIMES it will fill your crankcase full of fuel through the impulse line that comes off the side of the cylinder. then, when you go to start the bike, it hydro locks and blows the kicker backwards and usually breaks the clutch cover. just another possibility. I rebuild my fuel pumps yearly now because i have seen this happen. rebuild kits are CHEAP!

thestud25
07-08-2010, 11:25 AM
HI there iam in desperate need of some information regarding my new toy what ive got which is a 1989 yamaha tri-z 250.

Who told you it was a 1989? They only produced these bikes until 86.

Mosh
07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
You can use the clutch cover, kicker gears and kicker from the 85-86 YZ 250 to make it rear kicking..You will have to plug the Powervalve linkage hole in the YZ cover and trim your rear fenders so the kicker clears. You may also have to modify the YZ kicker so it clears the frame..Do a search. A few guys have done it.

But as long as you use all the bolts in the Z cover, and use a rubber hose like the guys said, you should be good with the stock set-up.

Yamahondaman
07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
ALSO .... make sure the Dowl's are in the cover's ....and keep in mind .... it's ONLY 24 yr's OLD... Cases are Frail like sum OLD People like me ! :-)

mcskippiee
07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
thankyou to all who responded to my question you have all been a huge help :) but one last thing is there anyone on here who knows were i can get hold of a 85 right hand side clutch casing for my trike if so let me know a,s,a,p thankyou :) you will be a massive help

Bryan Raffa
07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
new clutch cover will cost you $210.17 prices doubled in the last 3 years... that cover use to be $107... I got one for $100 bead blasted....;)

mcskippiee
07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
thanks very much but were from ??