PDA

View Full Version : front end inverted fork conversion ????

ATC-RYDA
07-07-2010, 06:58 PM
hey guys i've been thinking of putting some inverted forks on my 85 atc 250r , just wondering whats the best way to go about it ??? from which bike should i use the inverted forks also triple clamps, which ones work best, i've seen a bunch of r's with the forks just been racking my brain about how to get em on my atc... any tips would be appreciated .. thanks in advance guys !

harryredtrike
07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
been done.there are a couple of threads showing how and what was used.also a thread that used off the shelf parts for the conversion.do a search for the knowledge you seek

haggard 2hundie
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
what are the advantages to inverted forks ?

ATC-RYDA
07-07-2010, 07:21 PM
what are the advantages to inverted forks ?

okat harry will do and thanks .. also i would imagine greater suspension would be a nice plus haggard.. plus i think it looks pretty trick !

Tecate 50
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
hey guys i've been thinking of putting some inverted forks on my 85 atc 250r , just wondering whats the best way to go about it ??? from which bike should i use the inverted forks also triple clamps, which ones work best, i've seen a bunch of r's with the forks just been racking my brain about how to get em on my atc... any tips would be appreciated .. thanks in advance guys !

Contact Jason Hall here on the boards.......he has made triples for numerous trikes!

ATC-RYDA
07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks tecate.. now how would i go about doing that ? IM STILL NEW HERE TO THE SITE AND AM NOT SURE HOW TO DO CERTAIN THINGS ... THANKS IN ADVANCE .!

Yamaha_Rules69
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Send him a private message. Just find a post with his name, click on his name, and send him a message. The setup is pretty much all custom fabbed. I hope money wont be a problem, because for everything you need will be at least $700 at the lowest. Im not trying to shoot you down, but its not cheap, or everyone would have the mod. There is a lot of work, ingenuity, and thought put into this design.
The forks are most commly used from a KTM 80 or 85cc dirtbike, but they need to be re-valved, and a heavy duty spring installed. Jason Hall CNC machines custom tripple clamps, and steering stem so you can bolt the forks on. I believe you can still use the 250R front brakes, but have seen a lot of the times a different rim and tire is used up front. The rim is a 10 inch, a little shorter, and lower profile tire. It is suposed to handle much better, and soak up the jumps and bumps a lot better, and smoother. There are TONS of threads talking about this, pictures, etc, check it out. Do a search at the top of your screen to the right hand side. Good luck!

3wheelmecca
07-08-2010, 01:42 AM
why not use lowered 250 forks?? or 125? you could tune them more. Also it would be interesting to put a set of anti dives off a streetbike on it.
That would be very interesting to try.

Hoosier_Daddy
07-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Contact Jason Hall here on the boards.......he has made triples for numerous trikes!
I second that. he is the best at it. He is so good at what he does it wouldn't surprise me if he could turn coal to diamond with his bare hands. Yes, he is that good.

Dirtcrasher
07-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Jason does an excellent job.

I do not like reading that the seals on the KTM 85 fork seals blow often, IDK why... But, it doesn't excite me, I USUALLY (not now) ride allot!! I guess even with the right spring and good bushings/guides they still blow.......

I'm gonna figure out how to shorten CRF250F forks, rethread then and make them work.....................

I'll have to ask Jason for help and heights etc etc but I have machine shops that will help me and do it reasonably.

I want 250F forks not KTM 85 forks - Just my opinion.................

Jason Hall
07-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the kind word's guys :beer

DC, I don't think you'll want to go through the hassle of shortening the new style CRF forks. They have LOTS more going on Inside than one would Imagine. They hold oil In 2 different places!! The best ones to shorten are late 90's through early 2000 KYB's. The valving Is light years ahead of the old stock equipment, but might not be quite as good as the brand new stuff. I Especially Love my 01 CR500 forks, on my 450 I could keep them full length. On a 85-86 ATC250R full length unit's are just not the way to go to keep the suspension level from front to rear.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble keeping seals In the 85SX forks. They are no different than any other fork. I will be re-sealing / bushing a set of 05 85SX forks for my boys dirtbike, and will know more after I do that. I think part of the problem could be cheaper aftermarket seals, along with over filling them with oil! I also know most of the time people don't change the bushing's which are sometime's very badly needed. On my Hondas, I will NOT use any other seal than OEM, they are much softer and last longer on everything I have used them In.

1BFC here on the board's sent his 85sx forks out for a re-valve, and custom spring's with no leaking problems at all. He has the best setup I've seen yet for the KTM forks. He's a real cool guy, who Is Very smart and Is not afraid to share good Info.

ATC-RYDA, I will PM you back later tonite!!

Thanks
Jason.

dirtjunkie85
07-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Hmmm I know the KTM forks a highly adjustable so i dont think that would be a problem but you have to remember that even with new springs and such they are still designed to work on a 135 lb mini not a hulking trike. i would be very interested to see a trike with the big bike forks though.

dirtjunkie85
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
by the way jason that honda 450 conversion trike in your pick is absoutely awesome!! i thought that thing was factory!

Dirtcrasher
07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the kind word's guys :beer

DC, I don't think you'll want to go through the hassle of shortening the new style CRF forks. They have LOTS more going on Inside than one would Imagine. They hold oil In 2 different places!! The best ones to shorten are late 90's through early 2000 KYB's. The valving Is light years ahead of the old stock equipment, but might not be quite as good as the brand new stuff. I Especially Love my 01 CR500 forks, on my 450 I could keep them full length. On a 85-86 ATC250R full length unit's are just not the way to go to keep the suspension level from front to rear.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble keeping seals In the 85SX forks. They are no different than any other fork. I will be re-sealing / bushing a set of 05 85SX forks for my boys dirtbike, and will know more after I do that. I think part of the problem could be cheaper aftermarket seals, along with over filling them with oil! I also know most of the time people don't change the bushing's which are sometime's very badly needed. On my Hondas, I will NOT use any other seal than OEM, they are much softer and last longer on everything I have used them In.

1BFC here on the board's sent his 85sx forks out for a re-valve, and custom spring's with no leaking problems at all. He has the best setup I've seen yet for the KTM forks. He's a real cool guy, who Is Very smart and Is not afraid to share good Info.

ATC-RYDA, I will PM you back later tonite!!

Thanks
Jason.

Thanks for that thorough explanation Jason.... I can't see WHY they are losing seals either, makes no sense to me unless they run the little kid spring rate and are bottom constantly.........

Thank you for the heads up on the newer style forks. Then again, the one were trying to use are gonna be 15yo soon too....................

Louis Mielke
07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Well I'm one of the fools that blow seals all the time, but I don't believe I've bottomed it yet, used all the travel sure, but not bottomed out hard. I do suspect that even thought I have the heavier springs my valving is way off. IBFC's forks didn't weep a single drop at TF so I'm really thinking he's got the contact to make these forks work right without seal issues. I'll be sending his guy a set of my forks once I get around to it. Probably for the CRF250 build.

Only thing i can say is that 1BFC said he'd weighs in like around 130lbs, so I've got 100lbs on him at 230.

We'll see.

Jason Hall
07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Dirtjunkie85
Thanks for the compliment on the 450. It's very fun to ride, and fit's me real good :beer

The 85sx forks are HUGE for a 85cc bike. They have 43mm tube's. Honda used 43mm forks on 125 & 250cc dirtbike's for a few years. The real Bummer I think with the 250r Is the frame Is just not setup for longer forks. Others bike's like the tri-z or (350X with gussoting) could possably be set up with full length forks with some slight change's.

Louis, I don't know what the deal Is, I just know It does'nt make sense, and I'm sure your not a Fool, because If you were. Then I would not Love you Man :w00t: Ok, yes I would :D

I wish there was a better fork to do the job on the R, I guess we will just keep trying new thing's and hope to find something more common & cheaper. I can get full length forks shortened, but the price Is high 300.00 Is the cheapest to get them done right.

Billy Golightly
07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Shortening any of the cartridge forks is a PITA...for sure. I tried that before I found the KTM 85SX ones, and yeah, when I had those on my Z, I was ALOT happier. I've still got another pair laying around in the shop that I can build triples for and put on my 250R, but for the time being I'm on a personal crusade to make the OEM forks work as good as I possibly can. The inverts are in all ways superior, I'm just being hard headed :D

Jason Hall
07-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Billy, I think It's great you're trying something with the origional R forks. I remember reading somewhere that 87 cr500 forks ( Conventional Style, Not Inverted) were some of the best forks stock. Even compaired to some of the early Invert's.

I know with your determination you will make the stocker work great. I would think with some dampening rods with shimm style valve's, you could get Very Tricky!!