PDA

View Full Version : bad plug or bad spark?

juggaloclownz18
07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Ok heres the deal.... Can a plug go bad/get foulded just sitting in the jug not being used?

Tore the R down a couple weeks ago and have been messing around collecting parts i needed etc... Put it all back together today after changing the jets etc, while im waiting for some other parts... Kicked it about 300 times this morning until i thought i was gonna die, still wouldnt fire.... So i thought to myself hey idiot lets look at the simple things first.... NO SPARK.... Now i had spark just fine and it fired in 2 kicks when i tore it all down.....

SOOOOOOO..... Can the plug go bad just sitting there in the jug (not connected to the wire) or did i loose spark somewhere else? I have to wait until later tonight before i can go get another plug to try (all out of plugs when i need one, typical).....

Sorry if it sounds like noob questions just trying to ask if fouled plugs can cause no spark also, i know how to test the electrical thats all fine and good....

puggerton03
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Ya, a fouled plug wont spark. Check all connectors that you took apart. Get any plug and hook it up to the plug wire and see if it has spark with that plug. It can be from your lawnmower, any plug should spark.

juggaloclownz18
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
yeah im pretty sure my plug is bad, i was just second guessing myself because it was "in the heat of the moment" you know worked up these things can get ya sometimes..... Wont have another plug until later to test it though..... (i didnt disconnect any other connections either)

:-)

puggerton03
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Do you have anything else around that you can take the plug from to make sure its a fouled plug? It doesnt have to be the same plug that goes in the bike.

200XMichigan
07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
If it fired on the second kick before you tore it down, the plug should make spark still. It wasn't in use. I would look for a loose connection.

juggaloclownz18
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah i also had that same thought 200x, but the plug was old and in unknown condition, i dont trust the plug, ill go check my mower and see i can test it on that one..... BRB

Thorpe
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
What kind of plug is it? I will not use a champion. Hate them. Spark plugs are cheap. I always have 3 NGK spares for each of my machines around... I would try that first, just for the simplicity of it, then if that doesnt work, start diagnosing....

juggaloclownz18
07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah no doubt champions suck! I only run NGK, but i dont have any other plugs to test it with, ill let ya'll know what i find out later when i get a good plug.....

juggaloclownz18
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Im also hoping that the dumb ass switch this guy had hooked up for a kill switch isnt the issue, its one of those cheap ass "push button" round switches (my tether switch is in the mail still).....

daniel_250r
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
champions are the chitt! you can clean them when they get fouled ngks are dead after one fouling

harryredtrike
07-07-2010, 11:29 PM
grab the wire and kick it over if you get a good shock its the plug if not its that cut off switch your buddy put on,man up and grab that wire

juggaloclownz18
07-08-2010, 06:39 AM
oh theres def. no spark trust me i grab wires if i cant see the spark good, there was no spark, just waiting to go buy a new plug.... Also gonna go mess with the switch again too.....

juggaloclownz18
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
ok i tested my plug in another machine and it worked good, so.......... Out to the shed i stumble to find that it has great spark when i unhook this piece of crap switch..... So i leave it off and it fires in one kick, only prob. is i got no kill switch LMAO....... Had to quickly pull the choke and dump the clutch since i got an imposter version of "the death race" seems my throttle cable is not adjusted right since i installed the twist throttle and this was the first fire up since it was installed.....

Looks like i got that issue fixed (even though the plug is still junk it at least works and i have spark again).... Thank god for "normally open electrical systems"..... Off to go have fun battling figuring out all 3 adjustments for the cable... FUN TIMES FUN TIMES i tell ya!

One small step for man, one giant leap for my R ;-)

harryredtrike
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
thats why you do only one thing at a time.when you work on two or three different things at once,and you have a problem its harder to fix it.