PDA

View Full Version : 84 ATC110, can't get to full throttle.I

bobotech
07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I rebuilt the carb on my 84 ATC110 last weekend. Starts up great and idles like a kitten. If it sits a full day, I can put the choke on part way and give it one pull (not even a hard one) and it fires up right away.

Turn the choke off and drive around the yard and it runs great. HOwever I can't get to full throttle. If I try to floor it, it just bogs down and dies. This is while in neutral, not in gear. If I slowly goose it, it gets a tiny bit more but will still bog out and try to die.

I removed the air cleaner from the airbox thinking the air cleaner was clogged but still not much of a difference.

Any ideas?

haggard 2hundie
07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
maybe try a larger main jet ? is there any after market stuff on it ? pipe or air filter ?

rdlsz24
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes what main do you have in there and what is the clip on your needle set to? Focus on those 2 if you are bogging on the top end.

You should have an 82 main and clip on the middle groove.

Rob

bobotech
07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
OH heck, I didn't look at the main jet. I do know that I put the needle on the middle groove. The old needle was in the middle groove so I just put the new one in the same spot.

I am just annoyed that I will have to take the carb off AGAIN!! LOL

bobotech
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Well I went out and played with it a bit. I didn't take the carb off but I got some more details. When I floor it, and when it starts to bog down, it starts to smoke up pretty good. Let off the throttle, smoke goes away. Too rich? I still haven't adjusted the air/fuel mixture screw on the carb.

haggard 2hundie
07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
sounds lean to me ? but i have been plenty wrong before

bobotech
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
LOL. You are probably way more right than I am!! I have no idea how to tell between lean and rich with motorcycles. I just figured more smoke means too much unburnt gas. I dunno.

So if its too lean, which way do I turn the screw to richen it?

rdlsz24
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Turning the screw in makes it more lean, out is more rich. But, if your idle is good I don't know if I would mess with the screw too much. I would definately check out what size main you have in there.

Rob

Walkerallen
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
get used to taking the carb and pet cock off and cleaning them both.....ALOT. your best bet is to have the tank cleaned and coated. this will help the carb issue. now as far as jetting it. i just drill the jets out a tinny bit with a small drill bit.

haggard 2hundie
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
u can also try raising the needle jet by lowering the clip one groove to richen the mixture. someone needs to post up the jetting theory sticky i dont know how either way you should download a manual and give the jetting theory a read. good luck

Thorpe
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Read away... http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

Sounds to me that your main jet is dirty or plugged....

bigworm626
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I second on Thorpes suggestion! Make to run a clear gas filter between the tank & the carb, does miracles.

bobotech
07-07-2010, 07:16 PM
The weird thing is that I just put a clean gas filter in, new jets (all of them) and it is doing this. Oh well, time to take it apart again!