PDA

View Full Version : 83 250R blowing white smoke

Dman450R
07-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Hey Guys,

Just got my 83 250R running. Changed the oil, flushed the tank and she fired right up. When I took her up the road she was bogging pretty good. I pulled the air cleaner lid off and the spark arrester out and now she runs great. No hesitation or bogging at all, pulls hard from idle to WOT, but she blows a lot of white smoke at idle and low rpms. She seems to smoke a bit more as she warms up.

Originally I ran 20:1 as the owners manual says, but because of the smoke I changed to 32:1. It seems that it smokes a bit more now.....

I own an 07 TRX450R that I piped and jetted and I know that they run lean when you increase air and open the exhaust. Now I'm nervous having taken the airbox lid off and the spark arrester out. I don't want the R to run lean.

She didn't have an air filter when I bought it, so I used my wifes 300EX filter which fit perfect.

Am I overthinking this or is there something I should look at?

Thanks,

Dman

RIDE-RED 250r
07-05-2010, 10:03 PM
most 2-strokers will smoke a bit at idle and low speed while sort of "cleaning out" when you hammer the happy lever. do some plug chops at different throttle positions to determine your mixture, and adjust jetting if necessary.....there is a helpful sticky right here in Trikesylvania in "world class help". the thread is titled "Jetting 101". check it out, it should help you with most any questions you have... heres a link if you have trouble finding it... http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

KASEY
07-05-2010, 10:14 PM
after running 20 to 1 your pipe and silencer is probably coated pretty good with oily goo,,, if you clean it all out good it should reduce the amount of smoke,,, put a new plug in and do a few plug chops to see if your rich or lean now that you have made changes.

Dman450R
07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Many thanks guys! These 2 strokes are new to me.

Dman

Mendomotox
07-05-2010, 11:34 PM
also as long as u r usin quality mix oil u can run it as lean as 50:1. but be careful riding style and expierence r also factors.

KASEY
07-06-2010, 12:18 AM
also as long as u r usin quality mix oil u can run it as lean as 50:1 safely

this is bad information to a new 2 stroke user who is new to jetting also,,, stay with 32 :1 till you are comfortable with the jetting issues associated with 2stroke engines... that way you don't smoke your engine from being new...

3wheelmecca
07-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I would get a long flexible wire wheel or mini hone and go to town on the pipe, an IT400 I did pulled that until I decarbonized the pipe. Pulled 1 lb of carbon out of that pipe. Tuning should be a breeze after that.

David komatina
07-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah casey great advice for shur keep it safe 32:1 air cooled machines are a little touchy i learned the hard way stuck my motor twice when i first got into the air cooled machines!
this is bad information to a new 2 stroke user who is new to jetting also,,, stay with 32 :1 till you are comfortable with the jetting issues associated with 2stroke engines... that way you don't smoke your engine from being new...

D-dub
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I wouldnt run it with an open airbox till you figure out where its jetted at

Dman450R
07-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks Guys! I'm going to take it cautious for a while until I figure this out. Pulled the plug out and she's definitely not lean. Plug looks dark (even after running without airbox and spark arrestor), but that's probably because of the 20:1 mix. I jet my 4 strokes all day long with no issues, but this one's confusing. She runs perfect, no bogs anywhere.