PDA

View Full Version : RAT 1986 125 ATC ignition problems

Tommyjoking
06-29-2010, 06:13 PM
HI TO ALL

I bought a 86 125 ATC that is pretty ratted out and abused. The engine has great compression, the tranny shifts fine, has good tires and sprockets. The electrical has some issues like the starter button missing and a few cut wires. I have checked the kill switch, the ignition switch is bad so I temporarly direct wired according to service manual. The neutral switch works fine, the coil tested out at 9k ohms on the high side so it is supposed to be bad according to the manual. I am jumping across the solenoid to start it but I get no spark. Checked with a known good coil off one of my other bikes and still no spark. The firing pulse wires measure in at 433 ohms which I believe is suppose to measure 90 ohms? I plan to check out the pulse pickup, its at the end of the crank with the stator right? I am measuring 60+ volts at the coil wires during starting.... If anyone has any ideas on what to check from here I would appreciate it.

Also one other thing what does the little lever on the right side of the engine do? The one that is connected via cable to the brake on the handlebar?

Thanks
Tommy

motoman1012002
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
yeah sell it to me Ive got a 86 125 m to have you check the fuse box and make sure everthing is hook up

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Is it a decompression lever?

Tommyjoking
06-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Dirtcrasher I do not think so it is about as far away from the head as you can get....I think it is like a safety lever (brakes must be applied) for the reverse gear....this thing has an "automatic clutch".

I reckon the ignition pickup (pulse generator) could be bad....it does not seem to operate correctly when passing a magnet over it. Does anyone KNOW the actual diagnostics for it? Anywhere I can download a service manual for a 1986 125m? :wondering