PDA

View Full Version : 250sx speedo gearbox, silly question...

Vealmonkey
06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
I have this 250sx speedo gearbox drive. I think it has a piece stuck in the end where the speedo cable slides into it. Does anyone have a picture of what the end should look like on any speedo geardrive box and what the end of the speedo cable looks like? I remember it goes in the end of the gearbox drive and is held in place by a screw, but I don't have one here handy taken apart. Only have the speedo setup on the 350x. I'm trying to get all the parts together for a board member here. Does anyone also know the length of the 250sx speedo cable? I also would need a speedo cable guide and a screw for the speedo drive as well as a cable, but I should post those wants in the classifieds section, but don't know how long the speedo cable should be. The only decent speedo cable set up pics I saw was on an old thread that the 250sx had a 200x front end and was using a 200x speedo gear drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I would post pics for you of my 200 cable but it is in mexico right now so I'll try and describe it to you. The end is has a little groove where the screw will slide in to keep it in place then above it is an o-ring to keep out the water and grime. Hope this make sence to you.

Vealmonkey
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
I remember that, but I think I have a piece of the end of the speedo cable busted off inside the end of my gearbox drive. I think it's hard plastic, but I didn't want to go digging into things that didnt' need digging into. I don't remember if the cable is recessed up inside the outer piece with the dent in it for the screw or not. That's why I wanted a picture or pictures. I was feeling a little to lazy to start taking apart the speedo on the 350x. There, I said it. LOL I was hoping someone might have had pics they saved in the archives and didn't mean to take a special trip.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Ok I just happen to still have my speedo drive kit sitting in the house and I took another look at the cable and the lower is a hard black plastic besides the metal cable running through it.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-28-2010, 11:54 PM
oh on my drive gear where the cable meets it, the drive gear has a flat metal peice that slides into the inside of the speedo cable. So I would be careful digging into the drive assembly there, maybe heat it up a little to try to get the pastic a little softer to work with and it might come out with a little work.

Vealmonkey
06-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Would you be so kind as to post a couple pictures please?

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-29-2010, 12:02 AM
I would love to but I can't as I said my digital camera is in mexico right now with my brother, and I'm in illinois. I could in two weeks when he gets back:( but you probably could find it quicker if you made a new thread and asked for pics.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Here this is a pic I found on google it's looks pretty close to mine, from the o-ring up is the different part which you are not interested in anyway. I shows pretty good where the flat part would slide into the speedo cable in the bottom of the cable and where the screw will fit into the groove to hold it in place. I'll keep looking around tommorow for a better pic.http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/images/speedo-cable.jpg

this one in almost exactly like mine not a great pic but it's better than nothing hope this helps.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/OG/0000-Parts-Unlimited-Speedometer-Cable.jpg

Vealmonkey
06-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Those pics did the trick. The whole flat plastic piece above and below the screw was busted off in the gear drive. I found one of my stainless steel used dental tools and did some digging and it came out. When you said it's in mexico, I thought you meant the trike not the camera. Or maybe you meant the trike and the camera? LOL Now I need to find the length of the 250sx speedo cable so I can see if someone may have one used or find something close for sale on line. Now to go post in the classifieds section. Thanks for your help. It worked out great. I knew something didn't look right about that speedo drive.

atc500x
06-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I sold a NOS speedometer installation kit to cattle-dog some month ago,maybe he can give you the lenght of the cable