PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, got 2 trikes, where do I go from here?

bobotech
06-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I went to an auction last night and on a whim bought the 2 beat looking trikes they had there. One is a Honda ATC110 from 1984 and the other is a yellow Yamaha.

I never have had a 3wheeler/quad of any kind before.

Now for starters, both of the engines seem to be free, not locked up or anything however the Yamaha pull start doesn't seem to catch normally.

I got both of the trikes for 100 bux so I'm not really worried about investing a little money into these.

Here are some pics of the trikes still on my trailer:
http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/

I have no idea what size or model the Yamaha is, maybe someone could tell me where to find more info about it.

dcreel
06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
It looks like a pretty good deal for $100. The Yamaha is either a yt125 or yt175. There should be a stamp on the engine showing the size of the engine. Or you can look for the vin on the side of the steering head and run the vin on one of the decoders floating around the site.

Or see if the previous owner painted over the decal on each side below the tank showing the size. :-)

You'll have to get some better pictures of the tires on the Yamaha, they look like street tires. Very interesting.

bobotech
06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
This is a dumb question but are these trikes 2 cycle or 4 cycle? I'm just not sure if I want to use my moped gasoline or just straight gas. And if they use straight gas, where do I check the oil?

antonio0725
06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
the yamaha is a yt125 for sure yt175s had shocks on the front end i just rebuilt one this one is 2 cycle the red on is a honda prolly 4 cycle but idk

bobotech
06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
So witht he YT125, can I just use my 50-1 gas-oil mix?

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm not familier with the yamaha but most old two strokes are 20-1 you'll have to look around and find out I wouldn't run it until you know for sure. The honda is a four stroke just run straight gas. Theres free manuals for both floating around the site someone will post them up for you if you ask.

thestud25
06-26-2010, 06:50 PM
So witht he YT125, can I just use my 50-1 gas-oil mix?

Welcome aboard! Now you have the fever!

The Honda is a 4 stroke. Straight Gas. The honda has a dipstick/oil hole on the right side of the engine.
The Yamaha is a 2 Stroke. Mixed Gas.

harryredtrike
06-26-2010, 08:32 PM
the honda is definately a four stroke and the pull starter your having problems with is probably dirty and rusty inside.clean it out and change the pull rope and should be fine.

motoman1012002
06-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Id buy the rack off the 110 to use on my 86 125m

ATCeeya
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
just buy some 2 stroke oil for dirtbikes and whatnot and mix it how they recommend on the bottle. I think they are 32:1. I foolishly mixed 20:1 when I first got my 250R and fouled a plug an hour. it was too much oil. The new oils of today are not the same as the ones guys had to run back in the 80's. So just do that with the yellow bike and straight gas for the honda.

Xpress
06-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Nice find for 100 bucks. My 110 looked somewhat similar to that (minus the seat which was redone before i bought it). They polish up real nicely. :)

bobotech
06-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Nother dumb quesiton. Will these trikes be able to be used by us fatties? My younger son is a big boy as I am. I'm talking 300 pounds or so. I know that they won't be any speed demons by any means but will they be usable enough at the off-road park?

jays200x
06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Sell the Yamaha, and fix the Honda.... Just a suggestion??

TriMoto200_1983
06-27-2010, 02:39 AM
no sell the honda and fix the yamaha...

bobotech
06-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Got both of the trikes running today. They weren't running great but they were running. The Yamaha appears to have a lot more power than the Honda but I think that the honda just isn't shifting into low range or whatever. I couldn't lift the front end on the Honda but the Yamaha wanted to lift up whenever I goosed the throttle good.

Here are a few more pics.

The honda:
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/IMG_0217.jpg

And here is the Yamaha
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/IMG_0218.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/IMG_0219.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/IMG_0220.jpg

Can anyone identify the Yamaha with those pictures?

And what should I do next to get them running better? (I did change the plugs on both today)

bobotech
06-28-2010, 02:10 AM
It looks like a pretty good deal for $100. The Yamaha is either a yt125 or yt175. There should be a stamp on the engine showing the size of the engine. Or you can look for the vin on the side of the steering head and run the vin on one of the decoders floating around the site.

Or see if the previous owner painted over the decal on each side below the tank showing the size. :-)

You'll have to get some better pictures of the tires on the Yamaha, they look like street tires. Very interesting.

I got the numbers off the steering head but they don't work with the yamaha decoder that I found on the web. They are 3X3 0195XX where the last 2 digits (XX) are numbers on my trike (just don't feel like putting my full vin out there).

MonroeMike
06-28-2010, 04:31 AM
That's a 1980 YT125.

keister
06-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Are you able to get the 110 into high and low range?
Your selector probably needs lubed and it will be fine.
WARNING: Don't force it and break it, it will loosen up with TLC.

Welcome!

bobotech
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Are you able to get the 110 into high and low range?
Your selector probably needs lubed and it will be fine.
WARNING: Don't force it and break it, it will loosen up with TLC.

Welcome!
I do not know where the selector is. Remember, these machines are all brand new to me.

I think that the 110 just has a shifter that you shift all the way down for neutral and then kick up once at a time for 1-2-3-etc, right?

Xpress
06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
I believe the 110's are all down. There's 4 gears.

The Hi-Low transfer lever is on the left side, on the outside of where the chain goes into the engine- the big bulde out right there with the lever on the bottom:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2683/hilowbox.jpg

haggard 2hundie
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
clean the carbs real good and get a rebuild kit for them also a new air filters might help ?

hang&rattle
06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
My kids had simular trikes. My son's was a 80' yt125 & daughters was is a 85' 125m. The yt is much more powerful (snorty and faster) being a 2-stroke (but rough to ride) the 110 you have will climb better because of the gearing. Great buy if you already have running for $100, nice find.

bobotech
06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Where the heck can I get a rebulid kit for the Yamaha? I have a rebuld kit for the Honda on the way. I already took it apart and cleaned it out good, tons of crap in there. Yuck.

Still need to find the rebuild kit for the Yamaha.

Also is there any reason why the Honda won't fire the spark plug? Just wondering if there is some sort of safety interlock or something.

bigworm626
06-29-2010, 07:05 PM
bobtech,
Once you clean up that carb & put in the carb kit you should be fine on the honda. Just a suggestion, when you find the gear selector on your left side as your seating on the bike, make sure your in Neutral then reach for the Hi/lo gear selector & begin to move the bike back & forth until the the selector settles into the desired gear. I'm guessing because it hasn't been used for so long it just need alittle attention. Good luck & good find.

bobotech
06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Okay, I cleaned out the carb on the Honda and made sure that the 2 jets were clear and had holes in them. The smaller one was completely clogged and the bigger one wasn't much better. Clenaed out all the passages and blew everything out. I do not have the rebuild kit yet so I just cleaned up what I had in there.

After I got it together, I hooked up the gastank to the petcock via 2 new fuel line hoses. I then played with the choke and got the trike running. I also figured out the issues with the transfer case lever and the shifting. It shifts fine and goes into low and high range no problem.

The main problem is that there is gas pouring out of what appears to be the vent on the top of the carb. There is a hose port on top of the carb (not the throttle assembly) that vents out back by the chain.

Gas is pouring out of that hole and the bike won't stay running well or idle. COuld that just be a bad needle and seat?

haggard 2hundie
06-29-2010, 09:04 PM
check the float levels i think if the floats let in too much fuel the carb will puke
also there is a drain screw on the bottom of the carb , is that shut ? if not the fuel will just run through the carb like corn through a goose haha good luck

ATC-RYDA
07-14-2010, 02:33 PM
got both of the trikes running today. They weren't running great but they were running. The yamaha appears to have a lot more power than the honda but i think that the honda just isn't shifting into low range or whatever. I couldn't lift the front end on the honda but the yamaha wanted to lift up whenever i goosed the throttle good.

Here are a few more pics.

The honda:
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/img_0217.jpg

and here is the yamaha
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/img_0218.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/img_0219.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/bobo_snyder/trikes/img_0220.jpg

can anyone identify the yamaha with those pictures?

And what should i do next to get them running better? (i did change the plugs on both today)

a good carb cleaning is most likely in order they've probably just been sitting a while get urself a can of carb cleaner and just disassemble the carbs and clean everything up good .. This should make a nice improvement ... Cheers !

harryredtrike
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
i hate photobucket (image has been removed)

Atcguy.
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
the yamaha is a 125 the reason it picks up is its a 2stroke the honda has a highlow gear to the right of the pull starter chagne sparkplugs gas and oil the yamaha will rape the honda in speed so you should use the yammi and trailprotrailpro son use the honda

cox
07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Whats with the exhaust on that yammie? Alot different than my 83....

bobotech
07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
i hate photobucket (image has been removed)

yeah, wth is up with that? I never deleted or moved the pictures!! They are all still in the same folder!