PDA

View Full Version : ATC200 Won't start and has no spark...Neutral and reverse lights on.

jfandrich
06-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Hi I just got an 84 ATC200ES. it used to run great and then about a year ago just quit. My father inlaw didn't want to put any money into it so i got it. Here is the problem.

-won't start, spark or do anything when pressing start button or pull starting it.
-got a used CDI box today and still nothing
-tested ignition coil. tested OK
-Wierd thing is when i hook up the battery the neutral and reverse lights are lit up and it is not in reverse. the headlight also works.
-kill switch is set to run.

I am kind a new to trikes so any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

MyMistress86R
06-26-2010, 10:05 AM
It sounds like maybe the reverse/neutral switch could have gone bad is now sending a false positive to the ignition. You might also have a problem with grounding. Check over your entire wiring harness and look for cuts/breaks/shorts/corrosion and check all your grounds for good, clean contact. You also might see what happens if you just unhook the reverse/neutral switch or what happens if you reverse the leads or what happens if you ground each lead one at a time.

EarlyBronocGuy
06-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi I just got an 84 ATC200ES. it used to run great and then about a year ago just quit. My father inlaw didn't want to put any money into it so i got it. Here is the problem.

-won't start, spark or do anything when pressing start button or pull starting it.
-got a used CDI box today and still nothing
-tested ignition coil. tested OK
-Wierd thing is when i hook up the battery the neutral and reverse lights are lit up and it is not in reverse. the headlight also works.
-kill switch is set to run.

I am kind a new to trikes so any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

Yep, I second his comment about a bad reverse switch - if the reverse lights come on as soon as you hook up the battery, then there's a connection to ground being made somewhere in that circuit - whether it's the switch itself, a plug, or a wire that's shorted to the frame, you'll have to find out. The fact that both the neutral AND the reverse lights are on at the same time is a major clue - how can the trans be in both at the same time?

Remember, if the bike is in gear (any gear) the ignition circuit is grounded out and you won't get any spark. Lights will work, starter will spin, but no spark.

jfandrich
06-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I will check out the wiring. The only thing is that the starter doesn't spin. nothing happens at all when the start button is pressed. I will let you know what I find.

Skydrifter350
06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I had this on my BigRed 250es. Down by the shift lever there is a small plate that accepts the wires that light up those lights on the dash...one had simply come loose. Plugged it in and BAM fired right up!

mad_on
06-26-2010, 11:26 AM
i have a 1984 200s and im having a similar problem as you are.
i ordered a stator from the states about 2 weeks ago and should be in next monday or sometime next week. i'll let you know if there is any difference with the new stator.
i have checked the ingnition coil, cdi, and wiring right down to the stator, soo i am assuming it is the stator that may be bad.

mad_on
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
hey, soo, i replaced the stator and man does mine run amazingly well!
for sure it was the stator for mine.

jfandrich
07-06-2010, 12:39 AM
hey, soo, i replaced the stator and man does mine run amazingly well!
for sure it was the stator for mine.

So you had the reverse and neutral lights on at the same time...replaced the startor and everything is running great? I never thought of that. I checked the neutral/reverse switch and all the wiring and I can't seem to find the problem. I might need to try the startor.

rugman316
07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I noticed you said you replaced the cdi box. Are you sure it is the right one? I once tried the cdi box from a 200m on a 200es it plugs in fine but the reverse light came on for no reason and the bike wouldn't do anything. The correct cdi should be a number 969 I believe. Something to else you could make sure of. That is the only trike that took that cdi box and also a trx 200 quad.

jfandrich
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey Thanks Rugman. I just checked and the cdi box i picked up at the wrecker was a 968. I see you are from Saskatchewan. Do you know of any wreckers in Saskatchewan. The place I got the CDI box was by Borden. They want half the price of new on their parts and the selections not great. Just wondering if there are any other places out there.

rugman316
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I have had no luck finding any good used parts in Saskatchewan. I have gotten some parts from the bikeboneyard in Montana a couple times. I bought a new cdi off ebay a few years ago but I see his price has went up since then its right around 150 with shipping but there is some used ones on there right now. I try to stay away from used parts when it comes to electrical parts like cdi because you can get the wrong one as you found out or somebody sells you one that doesn't work or it only works for a short period and then all of a sudden quits.I have had the aftermarket one on one of my bikes for three years with no problem. There is a member on here from Quebec that I have gotten a few really good used parts shipped to me he is good to deal with and sells really good used parts. I think his name is atc500 you could try him he might have one. I hope this info can maybe help you out.

juggaloclownz18
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
you can test every component of the electrical system before you ever need to do the guess and replace game..... Test your stator, i had the same issue on my big red, and instead of replacing the whole stator, i replaced one of the coils on it (took 2 minutes to solder the new one on) cost me $15 for the coil instead of replacing the whole stator.... Fired right up when i was done, but i knew what my issue was before i spent any money on it..... Just a thought, a multi-meter is your best friend when it comes to bike wiring.... Good luck!

jfandrich
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the advice Rug and Jugg. I guess I will start with the proper CDI box and go from there. I do have multi meter. My problem is I need a CDI box as the trike didn't come with one. Also the trike is in pretty rough shape (physically). I want to get it running before I put money into fixing it up (brakes, fenders, tires, etc).

darrel632
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll look and see if I have a CDI for it, no promises though.

jfandrich
07-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks Darrel. Let me know if you find one.