PDA

View Full Version : Tire size for 86 200x

haggard 2hundie
06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
So i was looking at my back tires which need replaced and noticed they are way too big , in my opinion 22x10x9
so im thinkin 20/19 ? x11 x9 i want a wider lower profile tire, any suggestions or pics i can compare ? also how wide of a tire can i use on a 9 inch rim
and just so im clear 22x10x9 = 22 inches tall
10 inches wide
9 inch rim ??

Chillian
06-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Alot of people run 20" tires on x's. You'll find that for the width around 12" is about as wide as you will get and yes you can run that on that rim. First number tire height, second number tire width, and 3rd is rim height. So your equation is correct. You have alot of options in tire choice.

haggard 2hundie
06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
how drastic of a change will that make on the gearing/sprocket sizes im n ot even sure whats on there now and is there any issues with runnin 12 inchers on the 9" rim

Chillian
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
how drastic of a change will that make on the gearing/sprocket sizes im n ot even sure whats on there now and is there any issues with runnin 12 inchers on the 9" rim

It will feel like you lost a gear, but you can gear back up a bit. Put a 1 tooth bigger front sprocket back on and it will feel the same again. 12" tires normally don't pose a problem just check your clearences(pipe)

haggard 2hundie
06-23-2010, 06:33 PM
so my top speed will be affected with smaller tires but i can compensate by adding a tooth to the front sprocket what about the rear ? and will these changes give me more low end or faster acceleration ?

Chillian
06-23-2010, 07:16 PM
yes if you leave your gearing alone you will loose top speed but gain accelration, Adding a tooth back to the front will get you close to where you were with stock tires, you don't need to change the rear sprocket.
If do replace the front sprocket to get it back to a stock speed it will perform exactly the same as the tires that were on it(no top end gain and no diffrence in accelration)

Jerm1179
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM
a shorter tire will give you more low end and take away top end...one tooth up on the front sprocket will make it back to stock...if you want a little more top end you could go up 2 teeth on the front...but you will lose some bottom end...i run 20s and went up one tooth....feels perfect to me..all depends on your riding style, and or preference...good luck!

haggard 2hundie
06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
thanks guys but how do i add a tooth to a sprocket squeeze it in between the others and tell them to play nicely lol
HAMBURGER !!