PDA

View Full Version : New Arkansas member with old BR

gostraightahead
06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I just inherited my dad's 1985 250es. It's lived most of it's life in the White River bottoms where the buckshot is so bad for vehicles that hardly any Jeep or Land Cruiser, quad or atc has survived unless it's rinsed off immediately after getting muddy. I hauled it home this weekend knowing it had to be kick started, the shift lever was sloppy and inoperable, the forks are tired, there's a clunk in the rear end and the rear plastics are banged up. I got the shift lever worked out and started looking after the clicking-but-no-starting-solenoid last night. I kicked it and rode around the neighborhood listening for the clunk and it feels like a u-joint. The rear wheel bearings are bad as well. Maybe a combination of these can contribute to the problem? The diff oil is full and clean (not that it means anything.)

Since everyone else at our camp has a new Rubicon or Foreman, I figure I'm going to to a mild restore/clean up and paint it Nat Gear to match my boat and call it done. All it has to do is get me and a bag of decoys to the set up and haul a full crappie basket every now and again.

I've restored several vintage motorcycles and cars so I know my way around but I'll be calling on you guys for experience running down Big Red anomalies. In the last few days I've read through more pages on here than I care to admit and have the manual in hand. Here we go.

Thanks in advance for the help and insight.
Brent in Arkansas

squirrel1182
06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your BR. I know nothing about them so i wont be able to help you. Can you post some pics of your BR?

gostraightahead
06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I had a minute at lunch to have a look at the no electric start issue. I jumped the starter from the battery and nothing. I put a vm on the battery while cranking and didn't lose any volts. The solenoid is clicking and firing but the starter isn't. Reckon I need to just pull it off and check the brushes and clean it up and bench test it?

I'll get some photos of the nasty looking rig when I can. There wasn't a rack made for this bike that it doesn't have on it.

Brent
85 250ES

thestud25
06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome aboard Brent! Where at in Arkansas? The Big Reds are great and can about anywhere. I have a 1987 BR. Throw some pics up when you get a chance!

Fungo Wizard
06-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey theStud, I am waiting on an invite to come over and see that Big Red! I am kinda looking for a big red. I just purchased another 85 350x, and may be grabbing an 86 350x to, so the red is put on hold.

MonroeMike
06-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Welcome to the site.

Xpress
06-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Welcome, and get us some pics!

old honda dealr
06-24-2010, 03:04 AM
You said white river bottoms..... any chance you are somewhere close to Des Arc?? If so PM me your dad Probably got that bike from my grandfather if you are around that neck of the woods. Hit me up we have nearly 20 85-87 Big Reds still. And a couple of parts bikes. let me know.

Thorpe
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Typically the starter is to blame on the BR... When I pulled mine apart on my 85, the brush plate was so bad, it just crumbled, and it was easiest to pickup a new re-pop starter on ebay for $50... Worked like a champ ever since! Good luck on the ES!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-STARTER-HONDA-ATC250ES-BIG-RED-250-ES-1985-1986-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335e5bfec3QQitemZ22062 6419395QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories