PDA

View Full Version : Colorado 250R riders-jetting baseline?

newrider3
06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
I just got my '86 250R motor mounted, and all the accessories bolted on. It is a stock motor, running a Keihin PJ from an '88 TRX250R, open pod filter with foam outer. I purchased the carb from someone at about 500ft elevation (near 4,500 here), so it is running mosquito-fogger rich (even w/ the airfilter off), and won't idle.

Do any of you CO riders have an idea of where I should start as a baseline for jetting?
Also, where is a good place to get jets or a jetting kit?
Thanks!

RIDE-RED 250r
06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
while im not from CO, i can tell you that at higher elevation, the air is thinner, which in turn requires leaner jetting. just drop your main jet 1 size at a time till you get the main circuit dialed in. after you get that main dialed in, you can address the mid range (1/4-3/4 throttle) with the needle clip setting, and then you may find you need to lean the pilot a step. jetting over the internet is tricky at best. just focus on one fuel circuit at a time so you dont wind up chasing your tail not knowing what adjustment had what effect. and the nice thing about your position is that you are starting at a rich condition, making it relatively easy to incrementally work your way leaner till you get good performance without putting your engine in danger...

newrider3
06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
No other input???

newrider3
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
So I guess I'll try one last time? Can anyone give me a place to start so I don't have to buy like 70 jets and go from the bottom?

3wheelmecca
06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
wait for it........
I am starting working at Ray's manana, I will get you the setting for this elevation.
I will email you holmes.