PDA

View Full Version : Big Red decal placement

Leadfoot71
06-22-2010, 06:17 PM
My bodyshop guy just goofed up the placement of the decals on my freshly repainted '82 BR tank. I don't know what he was thinking... he knew it wasn't right and still went ahead and clear coated it. The "Honda" decals are waaay crooked.

When I showed up today, he admitted he goofed up before I even seen it and wants to make it right for me.

The problem is I'm running out of time (and money) and don't need anymore goof ups.

Is there any sort of stencil or dimensions to use for this? Is the "Honda' supposed to be level or does it slope downwards? Is the fuel cap level when the tank is installed?

Does anyone have a wrecked/bad '82 BR tank (with original decals visible) they can send me so he can have something to look at when re-doing mine?

I have pictures of it but don't have a printer. He also took pictures but even that didn't help.

350Xccelerator
06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Use sticker on. You spray the sticky part of the decal then you can slide it around to where you want it.

Leadfoot71
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Interesting. Never heard of the stuff though. Where can i find it?

350Xccelerator
06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/HARDLINE-PRODUCTS-Sticker-On-2-Oz-Sticker-On-/250641117552?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b5ff170

Chillian
06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I have done the exact same thing with windex. Trick i learned from my brother in law(auto body). Worked great.

Thorpe
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Just spray a bit of water on the tank... Does the same thing, but no expense....

BIGREDGUY
06-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Do these angles help? Yes the gas cap will sit level. The HONDA sticker will set level with the gas cap unlike the silver stripe which follows the bottom curve of the tank. Hope this helps!

Xpress
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Just use windex, and a squeegee to rub all of the water out. I do it all the time.

Leadfoot71
06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Do these angles help? Yes the gas cap will sit level. The HONDA sticker will set level with the gas cap unlike the silver stripe which follows the bottom curve of the tank. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone!

Right now the stripes sit a bit lower than yours but should be OK. The Honda decal on the right side was completely wrong. It wasn't level with the left side and had a bad downward angle. I realize it isn't an exact science to decal placement but trust me, when it's wrong, it looks really, really awefull.

Nice Big Red BTW! I'm getting excited to finally see mine finished up.