PDA

View Full Version : MR ATC's Tip of the week. after the ride maintenance part 1

MR ATC
09-08-2003, 05:13 PM
this is the first of a series of tips i will be posting.

this particular tip is part one of 2 involving after the ride. these are steps that if you follow them will help keep your trike in its best possible shape and help prevent mechanical breakdowns. next week i will discuse the mechanical part.

first washing the ATV;

the best way to wash your ATV is to use a pressure washer not over 1500 psi. above that you have to worry about it penetrating seals, damaging paint/stickers, damging cables/wiring, ect.

this is my method to washing trikes/bikes

first i pressure wash it to get all the dirt/mud off.

second i spray it down with a concentrated degreaser called "jungle jake".

i then pressure wash it again

after the second wash i spray the entire machine off with wd-40 to disperse any and all water.

before i even move it ( to not contaminate the brake pads)
i clean the wd-40 off the brake rotors/pads. (this does not apply to drum brakes) using a cholrinated brake cleaner. it comes in areasol cans found in auto stores for around 2.00

i then wipe down the entire machine to remove excess wd-40.

helpfull hints,

when washing, put your trike in gear and if you have a grab bar lift up the front end untill it is standing on its grab bar. it should stay there by it self and now you can clean underneith it.

remove your seat and fenders to get underneith them and expose otherwise hidden areas.

on two strokes plug the silencer with either a wine bottle cork or get one of those expensive " but plugs" your dealer sells.

on four strokes take a platic baggie and slip it over the exhaust and use a rubber band to secure it.

keeping water out of your exhaust will greatly increase the life of your silencer packing and prevent internal rust on stock exhaust systems.

why wd-40,

it disperses all water,
it prevents rust
it keeps the plastic fresh and viable (plastic is a petroleum product and so is wd-40) its like putting moisterizer on your skin.
you bike will shine while being protected and you'll save money on armor all that only helps looks.
it prevents mud build up on your next ride.

P.S. please only ask questions i'm not interested in debating/arguing the subject. if you disagree make you own thread. otherwise i will discontinue the series.

md1985250r
09-08-2003, 05:20 PM
that all sounds like excellent advice to me.....i have only one question........what do you use to clean the wd-40 off of the brakes?

MR ATC
09-08-2003, 05:33 PM
thanks i left that out. the post has been edited with the info

NOS_350X
09-08-2003, 08:11 PM
i suggest to not presure wash radiator's. The fin thingy's you risk the possibility of them to bend and mess em up. i dont know wether 1500 is safe or not

ATC crazy
09-08-2003, 08:28 PM
I've heard about using WD-40 many, many times...but I have never tried it. What do you do? Just hold it a foot or so away and coat everything?

MR ATC
09-08-2003, 09:03 PM
NOS350X: thats why i said under 1500 psi. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ATC crazy yes basically you do just that. it won't hurt a thing...except the brakes thats why the need to clean them imediatly with brake clean. you could try to avoid them but the overspray will still get on them.

also if you buy wd-40 by the gallon it cost about 12.00 and comes with a free sprayer bottle that you can adjust the tip to alter the spray pattern (just like household fantasik/409 cleaner) i will use this more in next weeks tip part 2 of after the ride

badtriz
09-08-2003, 10:44 PM
1490?lol