PDA

View Full Version : 84 atc250r running like crap

tyman2395
06-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey so i got my 250r running but it works like crap, It doesn't idle that good and when i'm driving it it wont hit the powerband and when i crank on it , it will like spit and sputter and barely go, Also the clutch is gone i think because when i pull it in and put it in gear it wont work, Do i need new springs? plates? disc? thanks

EDIT: Please do not type around the word filters. Especially in the thread title. Thanks you.

beets442
06-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Hello, Welcome to 3ww. The 84' is my fav year. Sounds like you suk'd some stuff in the carb(idle and main jet). Do a total carb clean! Clean air filter?Do you have an inline feul filter? New plug lately?Power band could be a oil clogged exhaust pipe or bad oil mix. Ratio??? Clutch could be stretched cable or worn disks ,springs. She needs some TLC. Check frame for cracks by the foot pegs those 84's are notorious. Might do a compression check too. Good luck!... Beets

Xpress
06-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Clean that carb out, and put a new plug into it. My 200x was running really crappily earlier today, and constantly backfired. Swapped out the plug, cleaned the entire carb, and it runs like new. Need to play with the carb a bit to get a perfect idle, but it runs great.

You'd be surprised at just how much a $3 can of carb cleaner can do and a new plug.

juggaloclownz18
06-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Is it jetted correctly? Plug Chop? Leak test? What jets are you running, sounds like maybe too small a pilot jet?????

tyman2395
06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Hey guys so i went to clean the carb today... went in the garage and my main jet and that metal peice were sitting on my work bench, Got that in now and it works better but still not the best.

juggaloclownz18
06-22-2010, 03:57 PM
yeah that sucks at least you found the problem! I always find little mistakes like that i do if i rush, but once i started double checking my work, i stopped having that problem, now its just the discipline of actually double checking it that can get ya :-) Good luck read the plug and rejet

southtexas250r
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
clutch could be hung... my tri-z clutch sticks and wont work some times kinda gota power brake it to spin it loose

Thorpe
06-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I wouldnt just clean a carb, If I have to dig into one, I always rebuild them....