PDA

View Full Version : Stolen?

JohnnyBeGood
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Ok so i finally got the frame on my new ATC clean enough to read the vin. After decoding it I discovered it is actually an 84 not an 83. However I bout it without a bill of sale and I want to register it someday. The guy said he had it for bout 8 years 7 of which it sat in his shed. Does anyone know somewhere I can go to run the vin and see if its stolen. I'm scared to go to a DMV or something cause if it does come up stolen they'll take it.

Thorpe
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Take the number into the dmv... Just tell them you are thinking of buying it, but wanted to check before you "drove" 3 hours to get it... Worst case scenario, play dumb, you dont know dude or anything.... Here in MN, we dont even have registration on our machines once they hit the 25 year old mark...

juggaloclownz18
06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
call the DMV on the phone and tell them.... "im looking at buying a bike, here the VIN can you run it for me before i buy it" and they will check it right over then phone, then they cant take it if you tell them your "just looking at buying one"......

Mrs.Mosh
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Here is a link to check your VIN to see if it has been reported stolen. I do not know how accurate it is, but you can try it.
https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

And here is a site with VIN check info for Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki. But you have to check with the ^ other link for theft.
http://www.atv-411.com/atv-vin-decoder.html

JohnnyBeGood
06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
I checked the nicb and it says there is no record of theft or salvage, however upon reading the fine print it says that the info is only from the last 5 years and is not guarenteed in writing to be accurate.

3Wheel_Gunner
06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Just take the frame in, if it is stolen, i would not use it anyway. Might as well let the cops have it, it would be unethical to resell it to someone else without disclosing its status. Now if it was a whole trike I would call in the vin and go from there, if you bought it in good faith I would look for a clean frame. YMMV

harryredtrike
06-23-2010, 12:37 AM
good advise given already,never tell them you have it only thinking of buying it.

oldskool83
06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
i did the same thing on a quad, i said im looking to buy the frame and the guy dont have the title heres the vin tell me if its stolen, it came up clean last registaered 8 years ago. i then proceeded to use it and build the quad up. just call, they wont come to your house or anything.

squirrel1182
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Id use a payphone like in a city if your scared of them comin for you.

oldskool83
06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
normaly you gotta give your name, ive always had to.

thestud25
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I repossed cars and worked in several motorcylce shops over the years. You can do what they are telling you and call the police or Highway patrol and read them the vin, or you can take it there in person. The have way more important stuff to do to track down a guy that has a frame that was reported stolen 15+ years ago. IMO