PDA

View Full Version : 250r caliper

juggaloclownz18
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey just found a rear caliper in my box of spare parts, how do i tell if its a good working part or not (supposedly it was only removed to replace rotor) but i have no idea of the actual condition or if the story was true.... Just by looking at it, holding it, how do i tell its usability?

Thanks again for my endless stupid questions LOL

juggaloclownz18
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Bump please....

PICS....

I have all the parts, just need to know about this piece is one of the pistons from it missing? Or is that other one not a piston? LOL sorry for the newb-ish question here, im slacking on this one LOL :drool:

scottp597
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Yes a piston is missing and probably the seals that go on the piston also.
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1138/1100gif.jpg

Are you planning on getting it to work and put it on your trike?

juggaloclownz18
06-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Holy hell thats a lot of parts!! :-)

Yeah i need to get it fixed and working properly ASAP its keeping me from riding, only a front brake makes you slide like crazy!! I have a box of odd screws and all kinds of other crap, prob all parts to this little thing LOL ill never get it figured out, just gotta look at it i guess, been lacking the time! Why you wondering if i need it?

Thanks again for the pic!

scottp597
06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Have you looked into putting a yz450 front caliper on the rear? It's a mod I did to mine, it almost bolts right on. I got the caliper for 50 bucks like new on ebay.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1497/p1010709c.jpg
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?65919-250r-rear-brake-mod/page2

Or you could probably get a used caliper on ebay that works

Or you could price out those replacement parts and put it together, might cost some $$

juggaloclownz18
06-22-2010, 03:40 PM
i have an 85 though, after reading that whole thread it only works on the 86+ years..... I think i might have the parts all in boxes not sure, this one should work if i find all the parts for it, just not sure on the seals or that whole deal.... Im pretty broke right now, trying to go the cheapest route for now, upgrade it later....

scottp597
06-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Thats right the 85/86 have a different mount.... I tried :lol:

Dirtcrasher
06-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, that caliper needs help!!

juggaloclownz18
06-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Shitty i figured the guy i got it from was full of crap, oh well live and learn, just getting sick of people never being straight forward with me.... It seems like the more honest i am with people the less honest they become with me ?!?!? Looks like i wont have back breaks for a while then anyhow.... Thanks!!

sdxp787
06-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Calipers are simple to rebuild. The most common downfall is that people don't lube the float pins. this is probably why it isn't on a trike right now. If you can remove the caliper body from the mount, you have a good unit. The piston seals need to be removed, clean out the grooves where they go and then put new seals in them. If you want to send it to me, I can rebuild it for you. I have some spare pistons laying around. You'd only need to pay for the parts and shipping, I'd do the work for free. I know I am new to the board, but I am a trusted engine builder here in Indiana.