PDA

View Full Version : Where Should I Start?

Pinhead
06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
New member here... This is an awesome site for the 3 wheeler fanatic! I just scored my first ATC project. I had several 3 wheelers as a kid and now that I have kids myself I want them (and myself) to be able to experience how fun they can be again.
And for some strange reason the older you get, the more you want to own things that you used to have when you were younger. :p
I just got an all original '79 110 for $25 on craigslist (couldn't lose). This thing looks like it was barely ridden and then put in storage for 25 years. Original seat cover with no tears, no rust inside gas tank, although it does have a small pinhole in the lower rear corner. Original tires are dry rotted and stuck on the rims.
Some kids got it from the original owner and tried to get it running but couldn't. (so they sold it to me)
In the process they lost some of the internal parts of the pull starter and they trashed the factory airbox. Headlight and part of the wiring to the headlight is missing.

I'm getting no spark. Where should I even start to get this thing running?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Yamaha_Rules69
06-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi, welcome aboard! Nice to see another 3 wheeler enthusiast. I would start with the sparkplug on the 110, and go from there. The 79 110 had points ignition, so I would also be leaning towards the points being bad, or not adjusted correctly. You could try to use a small file to clean the points up, if they are rusty, or buy new ones if you have any doubts after seeing them. They are pretty cheap, and I have heard a lot of good things about one place you can get them - www.dratv.com I would also check the kill switch and all the wires to see if any are broken. Im not sure, but maybe the 79' 110 had the kill switch on the headlight, and a knob to turn to kill it. I dont know if this is how yours is, but may or not be an issue. Good luck with the wheeler, and hope you can get it up and running!

MonroeMike
06-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Congrats on the new project and welcome to the board.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc90_73-78_atc110_79-81_servicemanual.pdf

Xpress
06-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Welcome aboard! And welcome to the 110 club :D

200XMichigan
06-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Pull the carb and clean all the jets. If the gas tank is rusty its a good idea to run an inline fuel filter until you get the gas tank lined. Spark plug, points, should fire up as long as they didn't mess with it so much its out of time.

harryredtrike
06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
the110 is a killer machine.bullet proof

Pinhead
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks Guys,
I picked up an '80 110 parts bike today....I got the fever! It has a complete wiring harness, pull starter (less rope/handle), Air box (less rubber boot between box-carb) and a headlight shell.
I'll be picking away at it as I get time...I will try new points next and work from there. What's the best way to test the coil? If I need a new coil is there any good sources out there ? I guess I should go ahead and order a rebuild kit for the carb.
I'll keep ya posted.

Xpress
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
What's the best way to test the coil?

Stick your tongue inside the end and crank over the engine? :D

Vealmonkey
06-19-2010, 11:54 PM
If you have a pinhole in your tank, you have rust. And please tell me you have downloaded that manual and printed it out. That is where you should start before anything. Also a points file and all the stuff for an oil change. Clean the oil screen and install a new sidecover gasket on your clutch sidecover when you are done cleaning your oil screen. Check the timing. Set your valves. Adjust your clutch. Do all the tune up stuff first befor you go around changing points and condenser and coil and what not. It doesn't hurt to keep a couple sets of points and condensers and plugs and a couple lengths of pull start cord on hand. The points can carbon up and a simple clean up with a points file can do wonders. Also set your points gap. These things should go along way to making your trike run right. Don't forget to check wheel bearings front and rear and also check your chain and your brake cable to make sure they work. Lube the chain and cable and set the proper tensions on them as well. Proper maintenance goes along way to helping your trike run right. Have fun and take the time to learn to do these things and you will benefit in the long run. Make sure you have decent tools to perform these normal maintenance tasks as well. Best of luck. Don't spend money on parts you may not need.