PDA

View Full Version : Beating a dead horse? 84 honda 200es electrical

r2b253
06-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Greetings All !!!
I have a question that I could sure use some help on. I am working on an 84 honda 200es . was running fine. Installed a new DG pipe on it. tried to start it ... No spark. I looked at the wiring diagram for it and using multimeter tested the coil. it is within specs on the low side but on the high side it is 1K high (6K).
A question here . with the ignition switch on and neutral light lit ... shouldnt there be 12 volts on the coil hot side?
Anyone with insight/help/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Randy
84 honda 200es
74 norton 850 commando
71 triumph bonnieville
72 norton 750 dunstall combat

cox
06-16-2010, 09:57 AM
i hate the electrical problems 200es's have..... i dont have an answer for you, but i have the same machine and i had the same problem. I took it all apart,cleaned every connection put her back together and she still had no spark. So naturally i left it alone, outside, under a tarp for the whole cold canadian winter. When i pulled her out this spring, i gave her some fresh gas and new sparkplug. Started first pull and has ran great ever since minus my camchain noise....

r2b253
06-17-2010, 06:08 AM
I have gone back and checked wiring and cannot see any reason that the D!@#@d thing should not run lol. It was running not 1 week ago with no problems. Anyone have any idea what might cause a "no spark" condition one week later ? the ONLY thing that has changed is the exhaust system . Again .. any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !
Randy

manyguns
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
On my 200S I kept having intermittent spark and finally, no spark. It was the coil under the flywheel. Changed that and away it went. Could be just a coincidence that it went out at the same time that you changed the exhaust.
Tom

ATCwithdrawals
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I have had 3 atc 200es and 2 of them had bad cdi. They both had the same symtoms.running great one day then went to start and no spark. traced it back to cdi-bought a used one and has been running great ever since. I have heard that this is a very common problem for the 200es only.pretty sure they have a different cdi then the 200s or 200m too.

EarlyBronocGuy
06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Greetings All !!!
I have a question that I could sure use some help on. I am working on an 84 honda 200es . was running fine. Installed a new DG pipe on it. tried to start it ... No spark. I looked at the wiring diagram for it and using multimeter tested the coil. it is within specs on the low side but on the high side it is 1K high (6K).
A question here . with the ignition switch on and neutral light lit ... shouldnt there be 12 volts on the coil hot side?
Anyone with insight/help/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Randy
84 honda 200es
74 norton 850 commando
71 triumph bonnieville
72 norton 750 dunstall combat

Pull the plug wire off and check it for continuity end to end. I had one that had a bad plug boot - the 90 degree bend was bad. No continuity at all. I replaced with a plug boot from an old plug wire from a Jeep, less than 1 ohm end to end, works just fine now.

You sure you didn't nudge the wiring harness during the pipe install and break a connection or ground somewhere?

tri again
06-18-2010, 04:02 AM
I have 3 good runners and one misbehaver )200es)

All set to go, new battery, cleaned everything up and green neutrallight, starter spins NO NO NO spark.

Took coil withwire , cdi, off known working unit and NOthing STILL!

aggravated I took the battery out for another machine, and for the heck of it I pulled the rope one last time . and the s.o.b. started instantly.

neutral light glowed ad it sounded great.

SOMEtihing that the elec circuit has that the magneto NON battery circiut does not is the prob.

neutral safety? naaa, starter wouldn't spin.
reverse cut out? thiks its in gear?
neutral light on with battery? NO spark.

some folks change the wiring harness just because after however many months, and like 20 bucks on ebay, they have a machine that runs and dont really care what the problem Was!

prob just by wiggling, reconnecting the connections,,,ALL (EVERY stinkin' one of them) of them, it just works.

So sick of this pos I gave up and bought an 87 br for 300 and an 85 sx for 200 and between the 2 new ones and say 12 hrs work, I have 2 happy trikes thanks to the
intermittent spark 200es 84 so I guess I dont really hate it anymore.

If the 200 es didnt suck, I wouldn't have 2 full suspension monsters I can walk up to that will do anything and go anywhere anytime of the day or night no matter the weather.

so YaY
the true meaning of trikes had been resurrected