PDA

View Full Version : Repack old exhaust..?

tremulant3fr
06-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Havent seen this forum in a grreat while and i wanted to do something to the bike seeing as how i didnt get a chance to ride this year. anyway I have an after market exhaust on my 86 250r thats about as old as my bike. the company no longer exists (to my knowledge), but Someone had mentioned to me if i had ever repacked my exhaust... i wasnt sure...? my dad bought the bike new and since ive had it ive never taken apart the canister. but are there any "how to"s or anything simalar on this forum? is it recommended? or should i begin a hunt for a new exhaust which i would prefer not to do i love the sound of the bike...

P.S this forum looks far more confusing and less user friendly than what it used to

MTS
06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Yes, Re-pack....Gain some Bottem end Snap back..Runs nicer too, Have a picture of the silencer? Be easier to explain how to do it If we can see what style it is, Some Come apart different ways...Still simple.

dcreel
06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Some have rivets or screws holding the end cap on. Once you get those removed slide out the baffle. You will know looking at it if it needs repacked. It will be oily, burnt, and a lot of the packing will be gone. Buy some 2 stroke silencer packing. Wrap it around the baffle, slide the baffle in. Screw or pop rivet it back together. Good to go. There are different ways to repack a silencer. Other people will post with their ideas.

tremulant3fr
06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
The pics i have are pretty sh!tty

its a very old Bills Pipe i had removed the 4 allen bolts that hold it together but regardless of the force i use nothing seems to seperate the 2 pieces. any suggestions on how to separate them would be greatly appreciated

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/IMAG0256.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/IMAG0257.jpg

MTS
06-15-2010, 01:07 AM
might have to use a little heat to get it to shake loose, could try warming the bike up and give it a good yank with some gloves on, or a few taps with a rubber mallet. once its apart you can wrap it with packing, or use the stringy stuff to pack it, make sure to get the core out and give it a good go-over with a wire brush to get all the holes clear, don't pack it to tight, and use a bit of high-temp rtv to seal it up...good to go.

bigbadktm
06-15-2010, 08:37 PM
when i repacked mine, i had to beat the holy hell outta it to get it to let go. I don't recommend my method though, that's a good way to be buying a new silencer