PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 83 YT175 Noob help.

Jgrizz
06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey guys, new here and first post... Let me start off by letting you all know that I am a novice when it comes to small engines, everyone has to start somewhere though right?

Anyway, bought this beauty a couple days ago and took it out today for its first official ride..

Drove it for about 20 minutes down some trails and back home and have a few concerns:

A) In neutral it would erratically rev high or would want to die out.
B) When I got home it was smoking more than a cypress hill concert due to oil / gas leakage.

Couldn't really tell where it was leaking oil from due to under carriage being in the way and didnt have time to take it off.. The lady I bought it from said she filled the oil right before i got there, could she just have filled it too much? It didn't leak at all sitting in the garage for two days, only after i got done riding it. I see two spots where oil could go, 1 side in a tank on the right side of the bike, one on the crank case and I see an oil level bolt. Is one for tranny fluid and the other for oil?

On the carb I noticed a fairly long hose right below the idle screw just hanging there, Is this just for drainage or should it be plugged in somewhere? Same thing on the tank where oil would go, is this just a drainage hose as well?

Ordered a haynes manual today, hoping that the book will answer many of my questions as ive heard great things about it...

Thanks for the help and sorry if these questions are idiotic.

200XMichigan
06-15-2010, 10:48 AM
The oil is filled to the oil level bolt. Just remove it and pour some in until it comes out. 10W-30 is what they recommend in the tranny. Pretty sure the hoses you are talking about are vent hoses. Mine has them too.

200XMichigan
06-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I can e-mail you the service data, compliments of MonroeMike, he hooked me up when I got my YT175.