PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r

juggaloclownz18
06-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Finally got another trike, took forever to get but ive been waiting forever for a 250r never had one, and like a kid on christmas!!!! YAY!! :naughty:

juggaloclownz18
06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Edit: Double post sorry :-)

juggaloclownz18
06-13-2010, 05:42 PM
So after all the multiple trades i did, i have only $600 into this, the rear end from wheel to wheel is brand new i only have 10 minutes ride time on it, axcalibur +4 axle etc..... Looking to see whats done to this, can anybody tell me a little about it other then the obvious, it has a nice case saver on it, whats the exhaust etc.... Thanks!!

Cant ride until the jet kit gets here, its jetted for winter, running too rich too ride, kinda a bummer but sooooo worth the wait! Also have to hook up the rotor and brakes in the back, its all there, cant find anything else wrong with this, all new bearings, bushings etc....

AutoXer
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
wow dude CONGRATS!!!!

RIDE-RED 250r
06-13-2010, 06:05 PM
welcome to the R club! to me its pretty hard to tell what kind of exhaust is on it. its definately aftermarket, most likely DG or FMF. as far as other things wrong, its kinda hard to say other than the obvious things like no headlight and just cleaning up. looks like a real descent trike to me! BTW, whereabouts are you in 315? im just south of Camden if you know where that is.......

juggaloclownz18
06-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks man, im excited like a kid on christmas if you combined all 28 years into one lol

Xpress
06-13-2010, 06:07 PM
WOW nice find! :)

juggaloclownz18
Im about 8 minutes from camden ride-red, I live in williamstown.... not bad for $600 took 2 years of trading machines to get it :twisted: Traded an 86 quadracer need alot of work, but had a ton of parts with it... traded straight up for the trike!

RIDE-RED 250r
my exact feelings when i got my R. i dont think its uncommon! lol...

ah yes, Billy-town....i know the area well... did alot of mischief up that way when i was a bit younger. and you are darn right about $600 being a good deal!

juggaloclownz18
06-13-2010, 06:12 PM
You got any parts for sale man, gonna be looking for some soon and your pretty close... Gonna need some jets and a rear rotor... possibly some cables to be safe...

jeffatc250r
06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Looks like a solid start for a good bike. I would def get the rear brakes fixed though, I can live without the fronts, but no rears are a death sentence. Also If your looking for a good front tire with some good bite a carlisle trail wolf makes a great replacement, does that one slide alot in corners?

Is the sprocket shaft seal leaking? Looks like a bunch of oil under the motor below the sprocket area. Keep in mind if it is indeed leaking and you decide to fix it, there is an oil seal along with another o-sing seal and both should be replaced. Congrats, theyre fun bikes huh?

jeffatc250r
06-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Also, it looks like the kicker is hitting the clutch cover, loosen the pinch bolt and pull the whole kicker towards you as far as the bolt will allow if it hasnt already been corrected

juggaloclownz18
06-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Jeff - I have not noticed any leaks at all, watched it run for about 20 minutes, the only thing i saw was a very slight bubbling near the spring on the "clutch arm" where the cable hooks up to it, as far as the other oil/grease spots, i cannot tell you, when i pull my carb today, i plan on cleaning the bike all up and wiping it all down so i can see what is really going on with it, that could just be old grease/oil/grit (i hope) that never got cleaned up.....

I cant run it right now to tell you about any other leaks, or if the tire slides bad lol, the bike is jetted way rich for riding it on the lake, thats the only place the guy i got it from drove it, or so i was told, but its def. WAY rich, hardly takes off past 1/4 throttle, gotta pick up some jets then i will be rejetting it so i can ride it, has to sit for now collecting dust LOL :-(

Yeah i saw the rub spot on the side cover from the kicker, but it appears to be fixed, didnt hit it while i was starting it (started it 5 times now, it had not been started in 4 months supposedly when i got it)..... Only thing i noticed is sometimes the kicker seems to slip (about once out of every 10 kicks) is this normal for an 85, im sure its getting worn down, but how much of a P.I.T.A. is it to fix that?

THANKS AGAIN GUYS YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW STOKED I AM!!

ceaserthethird
06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
The Chain guard is broken, Check to see if the Case in that area is Cracked.

You have a DG pipe & Silencer ... Replace it !

First thing i would do is Buy a Degreaser Cleaner, Take it to a Local Car wash and pressure wash it Remove the Tank and Rear fender .

Buy a New Air Filter, Spark plugs, Front Sprocket & sprocket Guard, Chain looks bad, Rear sprocket, Clean or upgrade your carb.

Flush the transmission, Flush your radiator.

You got alot of work to do !

RockyMountainatvmc.com is the best and fastest shipper around

RIDE-RED 250r
06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
You got any parts for sale man, gonna be looking for some soon and your pretty close... Gonna need some jets and a rear rotor... possibly some cables to be safe...

while i do have a descent collection of spare parts, im not really looking to sell any at this time as i have a project '85 R myself, along with the running R you see in my sig. sorry. but i may be able to help you with main jets. what size do you figure you need?? also, i would remove, dissasemble, inspect and clean that carb just to be sure you arent mistaking a dirty carb for improper jetting. also, get some fork boots on that fork or your seals will be junk very soon if they arent already. i agree with CEASARTHETHIRD, Rocky Mountain ATV is tough to beat for price, selection and shipping speed. on second thought, i do have a stock pipe i can live without! lol! also, even though alot of guys hate Ebay, my friend has had some descent luck getting a few R parts these last couple weeks. but the stuff he is getting is basic stuff like a tank, +4 stock swingarm, etc.....he is starting a ground up build from a frame i traded him. along with the things CEASARTHETHIRD listed to do, check you swingarm bearings for slop. and since someone brought up the front tire, i like the Kenda Front Max tire myself. My running R has a stocker on it, but my project has the front max. alot of trikers like the front max for sport trikes and they are reasonably priced too....

leviblue
06-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Clean her up and take some new pics....I love the old DG pipe & ex cham but I'm an old guy...the carrier& axle is worth the $600...Do the basics on it...check the fork caps and seals...Fix the brake( I'll send you a cal if you don't have one,just pay for postage)... Run it for an hour and look for leaks...If it looks good then go take a spin with RR250r and enjoy

juggaloclownz18
06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Im started tearing it apart lastnight but i have to clean the shop, ran out of room.... That front tire isnt good? All be bearings and stuff are all new, carb is new, (taking apart to check jet size) the bike was dry of all fluids when i got it since it was in storage i have filled them up, but i am gonna clean it all up and do PROPER maintenance to it so i know its right and will last me, i want it for a long time!

juggaloclownz18
06-16-2010, 06:20 AM
When i got it all apart, it had a 150 main, 55 pilot, is this close to normal for winter jetting? Whats a good starting point from that to drop it down too?

Also my front tire was mentioned several times, that tire not good for the front or something? Thanks!

juggaloclownz18
06-18-2010, 09:02 AM
BUMP....

Well i am hoping to go pick up a chain slider and some jets today, anyone know what jets i should order, what is a good starting point, it has 150, 55 in it now for the winter riding....

puggerton03
06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
A 142 is the stock main jet size and a 52 is the stock secondary jet for the 85 250R. Get a few up and down of the main. From what Ive read, the 85 is jetted fat from the factory. If it were mine Id get a 142, 141, 140, 143, 144. Id keep the stock 52 secondary and try the stock 142 and go from there. Jets are pretty cheap.

puggerton03
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
And as far as the front tire. Just keep it on there. It looks fairly new. I wouldnt change out a tire unless it was worn or you really didnt like the way it handled.

juggaloclownz18
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks man, appreciate it, sounds like its jetted really fat now then, i figured if i got it jetted good and got a chain slider, thats the bear minimum i need to drive it, that way i can still ride while i fix it up properly.... Then on to fixing the back breaks, having just fronts suck!!

leviblue
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM
There's nothing really wrong with the the tire just might grip hard in the corners and make it hard to turn...I run an old goodyear 911 on one of my racers sorta like yours but the tread is brokenup. Get the brake on and some fork boots you don't want sht getting in those tubes

hang&rattle
06-18-2010, 02:19 PM
That is a great trike & a price that everyone dreams of. I'll bet it is low maintanance and runs like a champ, hate people like you! (lol, actually pretty happy for ya juggaloclownz18, excellent patience.)

ceaserthethird
06-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Main jet's - 142 / 145 / 148 / 150 / 152

Pilot Jet - 48 / 50 / 52

juggaloclownz18
06-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks!!!!!