PDA

View Full Version : warning on rpm grab bar for tecate 3

woodie
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
i just purchased an ebay rpm aluminum grab bar for my 84 tecate, i was excited when it showed up today right? who wouldn't be!!!!! then upon installation i found out one major issue...........
in order to get my fenders to drop down all the way to bolt up i have to cut or notch them to fit the grab bar!!! well poop!!! not sure what i'm gonna do yet, just thought i would let u guys know its a great looking bar just wish it didn't require fender trimming. (prm( sorry))

dcreel
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I trimmed my fenders years ago when I mounted mine.. They were doing a little trimming of their own.

honda250sx
06-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Have you tried contacting PRM? I am a dealer for them and they are great to deal with. I would give them a call and talk to there tech people or someone in the shop. Its a small outfit. Maybe shoot them a nice email with detailed pictures. I have dealt with them for a long time. They are always fantastic to deal with. Just a thought IMO

Xfile
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I should give them a ring too. I purchased a PRM baja grab bar for my 86X and I love it. I just purchased a "desert" grab bar for my TRI Z project and love it not so much. Very poor fitment and the description claimed that taillight mounts would be present on grab bars requiring them,,,, no mounts for the Z tail light.

woodie
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Have you tried contacting PRM? I am a dealer for them and they are great to deal with. I would give them a call and talk to there tech people or someone in the shop. Its a small outfit. Maybe shoot them a nice email with detailed pictures. I have dealt with them for a long time. They are always fantastic to deal with. Just a thought IMO

i appreciate it, but i took a dremil to the rear corners and made them fit... just pissed me off that the ebay jerks that sell this stuff don't know enough to let u know before u buy it. and of course after its paid for u get the classic " really?!!!!! i've sold 5 million of those things and u are the first to mention that!!!! hmmmm!!! did u install it right?" GRRRR!!! THAT JUST MAKES ME WANNA CLUB A BABY SEAL OR SOMETHING!!! OK SORRY I'M DONE... had to get that off my chest lol

woodie
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
update i sent them a tell tell and told them they had a great looking bar but they might wanna educate their EGAY vendors on a few issues so they don't really hack people off and draw out another ted cazinsky or some dalmer wanna be lol

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
The guys selling them may not be aware!

You'd still be helping all the other guys out by taking a pic and emailing them!!

Tecate 50
06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Had the same problem with my maier fenders....easy fix! I washered and spaced up the fender, which also makes the seat fix nice and snug!

sblt500r
06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
do you have the rear fender brace? maybe it will raise up the fender enough to clear? thats if you don't have one.

i've purchased alot of prm skids and bumpers and was happy with them all. only had a problem with a lt500r grab bar, but it was because my subframe is a bit tweaked.

tecat-z
06-12-2010, 12:31 AM
First question....... Are you dealing with oem, or Maier fenders? Maier will fit fine. Oem's require much work to make fit properly. I have a feeling these were designed the Maier replacement fenders. I have a nos set of oem fenders that will require me to lower the grab piece of the bar in order to fit perfectly. That's a project for a nasty 85 Tecate build that will begin next winter........

nd4speed
06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
You mean it kinda looks like my Home Depot custom grab bar:

nitro kaw
06-13-2010, 11:42 PM
that tecate in the pic with the homemade grab bar, i believe that i bought it from a guy in michigan. Great tecate. now its my otc mx series racer.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
just for the sake of it......i just recieved my PRM 6-pack rack grab bar for my 250r today. i gotta say, the quality and workmanship is top-notch and fitment was perfect. i have maier OEM replica plastic on my machine. whatever the problem, im sure they would want to be made aware so they can make it right for you, and the next customer. im extremely pleased with mine

RoscoW
06-14-2010, 07:27 PM
My fenders were tight to the grab bar as well, didn't have to notch them but they did touch.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/Roscowbuggies/Silver%20Lake%20Sept%2009/Tecate%20pics/PB1.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/Roscowbuggies/Silver%20Lake%20Sept%2009/Tecate%20pics/PB4.jpg

Ross..