PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 200m stripped countershaft

x77911
06-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi all. I searched (rather casually) the forums, but to no avail. I have a 1985 200m. Once in the past, the chain has slipped off the rear sprocket while riding. I towed the trike home, got the chain back on, adjusted to take up the slack, kept riding once every few weeks, and started looking for replacement chains and sprockets. I assume that the original chain has stretched and needs to be replaced along with new sprockets. On the most recent ride, my brother and his girlfriend were riding up a rather steep hill and lost forward motion. Towed the trike home and started examining the driveline to discover that the front sprocket has sheared/stripped the splines on the countershaft coming from the gearbox. Now the gear simply spins freely on this shaft. Can anyone recommend an interim fix or reputable source for these parts? Thanks in advance!

tri again
06-10-2010, 03:31 AM
wish I knew but since no one has responded, I'll give it a shot.

If the shaft is toast and NEEDS replacement, there should be no reason not to weld it in the interim.

A couple strategic hot spots around the gear withOUT heating the seal.

Perhaps a pin or 2 around the gear and shaft to help hold the weld.

I was under the impression that the shaft was harder steel than the gear.

Also had the same thing on a tractor spline.
The guy welded the shaft and I then proceeded to grind the spline grooves back in with a 9 dollar angle grinder and a 2 dollar metal cut off wheel.

Of course, that part was from a 1947 jd and impossible to find, or they were all in the same shape.

Is the 85 200 like all the other 185 200 types or is it new new new like the 85-87 big reds and sx models?

x77911
06-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks drjoe171. Gonna weld it tomorrow after work. No luck on eBay searches; perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Wrap a SOAKING/DIRPPING wet rag behind it, keep a big hose nearby and weld the friggen thing in place........

I'd weld a BRAND NEW countershaft sprocket on there, don't weld a used one in place, sprockets are cheap $$. INHO............... Don't weld a used POS on there.........

It is what it is....

I have brand new mainshafts but NO countershafts. :C