PDA

View Full Version : Which motor

thumper 14
06-06-2010, 11:14 PM
looking to rebuild a 85 70 and was wondering what motors are common to put in the atc,s i was looking at the lifan 140 motors and just want some insight on what i am getting into .
Thanks!!! :D

KASEY
06-06-2010, 11:19 PM
to do a 140 you will have kicker issues unless you do electric start. you will have carb issues to resolve .. you will have to fab up an exhaust as nothing is a bolt on,, you will have front fender issues because the motor is longer, you will have to adapt a fuel the fuel valve,, as a carb most likely won't have a valve on the carb like a stock 70,,, you will have to mount the cdi box and address the lighting if you run ! lights,,, other than that,,, its a piece of cake!!

thumper 14
06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
could i go to pull start?

benb1984
06-07-2010, 03:32 AM
i have just put a 125 into my 73 atc70, it bolted right in no probs, i used the pit bikes foot pegs coz the shifter was in the way of the trikes.. i spaced my rear wheels out enuf to fit my foot to kick it, i got the pipe off the pit bike to fit with no mods by taking out the 4 locking bolts in the back of the muffler so i could turn it to match the bolt holes for the seat and rear rack, its a bit close to the seat but i havent been burnt yet, i used the original atc 70 brake as the clutch handle, and used a honda niffty fifty scooter twist throtle and brake handle set up, it has a start switch that im gonna wire up to the kill switch and a light hi and low switch for if i decide to add a light later.. also u can usually adapt the chain covers from hondas to fit lifan engines, for some reason i dont think the 70cc cover fit, coz i used the cover off a 90cc honda motor.. youll also have to find a header pipe that will clear the tank, another pit bike i had for spares had 1 that fit perfect, although i had to grind out some fins on the top of the cylinder, today i changed my head coz i wasnt happy with how it was running and now its fine, seems the problem was only the valve gap.. so check that as soon as u buy one of these motors.. hope some of this helps a bit.. ill post some pics and can answer any questions..

1 more thing.. u can make a pull start conversion or im pretty sure u can buy them online from a few places and fit it with little mods..

thumper 14
06-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys i,m gonna make a decision on the motor , and let yall know how its goin , and does anyone fab some necks up or something to eliminate the carb and gas tank issue?