PDA

View Full Version : Doug Domokos Wheelie King

mike1979
05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I found a cool old school video, check it out. The last minute is kinda cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLdzmWcKjJ0&feature=related

Grizzlypeg
05-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Excellent. He rides that trike like a Segway.

Xpress
05-31-2010, 04:23 PM
That last bit with the roll cage was sweet.

I wonder how hard it would be to modify a trike for that...

harryredtrike
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
trike on a highwire,cool

jeffatc250r
05-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Im gonna have to add the highwire trick to my list of stuff to do this summer.

Xpress
05-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Heck, I'd love to even be able to keep a wheelie going that long, LET ALONE do a wheelie donut :D

motoman1012002
05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
I allways wanted to build that bike like his

Woodsrider
05-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I would love to know how his rear axle was set up...unlocked diff with a brake on each wheel? How were the brakes actuated ? Does anybody know his set-up?

ATCeeya
05-31-2010, 07:03 PM
owning that bike would be the best thing ever...thanks for posting up he is the godfather of stuntriding.

ailll1
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Found another related vid about him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqL-UPeVLc4&feature=related
This guy owns his wheelie bikes and 3wheelers. He also explains how they were made, how his trike were made to turn during wheelies.
Another sweet vid!

SeaBass8
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Thats one trick three wheeler. I still havent really figured out the rear end setup....

Xpress
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
It's pretty easy. The wheels in the back each have their own brake on them, and when the wheel is turned up front, they push in a hydraulic piston, which then activates the brake on that side, so if he turns left, the left brake will activate, braking up the left wheel, turning the trike left.

Woodsrider
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't see how it can be that simple....I mean I saw the video of how the rear brakes are actuated by the steering setup...I get that part. The part I am stuck on is the axle. If the axle is one piece, I truly need a physics lesson, because I don't see how having a brake on either side of a solid axle would cause one side or the other to stop while the other end of the same piece of metal keeps rotating. None of my 3wheelers have a brake centered on the rear axle...the 250ES and SX are both at the extreme right end of my axles...and I don't go in a right hand circle when I brake.
I watched the video of Kirk explaining the trike setup....and I looked at the rear axle....I'm just puzzled as to how they make it work.

Xpress
06-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Differential...?

Woodsrider
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
If you look at the vid posted up in post #10....you can see the rear axle (at about 2:18), and it looks to be a straight axle....no differential...at least not a conventional one. Maybe it uses electric motors on the wheels like the front wheel of the ATK...but I still don't see where the axle is "broken" in this setup....I don't see how it's possible that the axle can be solid...I'm too curious LOL...

SeaBass8
06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
The axle must be atleast 2 piece or 3 maybe. But then if both sides free wheel how does it drive?

TheRealFatShady
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Interesting discussion, I'm curious now as well. Must be 3 piece, where the middle always turns, and normally all 3 would unless one side's brake is pressed where that 1/3 doesn't turn?? That would mean the brake is stronger than the force turning the axle, so not sure that's it.

Really would like to find out...........

Woodsrider
06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I suppose if the axle is in 3 pieces, it could have a sliding splined coupling on each side...so when the coupling retracts, that side free wheels. My only problem with that is that I don't see how you couldn't see these "extras" sitting there when looking at the pics of the rear axle.

Dave Little
01-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Nice old post, I stumbled upon Doug Domokos by accident today and was wondering the same thing regarding his axle set up. Upon further study what I suspect it is is the sprocket connected to the center brake by a tube (you can see that in the Kirk Trainor vid linked in post #10) The center brake rotor then occupies the space on a differential where the ring gear would have been. both axles then tie into either side of the diff and the left axle passes back through the tube, pretty simple.

Mickey Dunlap
01-20-2014, 01:24 AM

Dave Little
01-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Wow that's cool Mickey...I would have been maybe 5 years old. I'll never look at a 200s the same again, that's for sure...those have serious potential:naughty:

barnett468
01-20-2014, 04:32 AM
Nice old post, I stumbled upon Doug Domokos by accident todayI saw him wheelie around the entire la colliseum mx track without dropping the front wheel. This included the peristyle. I think it was in 75 or 76 at the Superbowl of Motocross race. He also came to our shop once and wheelied some of our bikes around. That was cool.

joesouth
01-20-2014, 07:45 PM
The AMA museum has his dirt bike that he set a world record wheelie on. It had a electric motor that spun the front wheel. I guess it helped his balance. Cool stuff!

El Camexican
01-20-2014, 08:07 PM
It had a electric motor that spun the front wheel. I guess it helped his balance. Cool stuff!

Yep, that was how he steered the bike. I saw him do a show when I was about 14 or 15 years old. Larry Huffmann was on the mic and all the bikes used pre-mix... those were the days.

Tri-Z 250
01-21-2014, 01:38 PM
I saw him as a kid in the Detroit Silverdome. The year David Baley won the AMA Supercross series. They did have 3 wheelers racing after the dirt bikes. The wheelie King was cool in its day but he'd have to back flip it to feed his family today.

MIK6
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Here is an awesome interview w the guy that owns his wheelie trike now.. he shows the rear end setup..
pretty cool to say the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqL-UPeVLc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Larry T Moore
01-21-2014, 02:18 PM
they did an article on the rear end in DIRT WHEELS or one of the old mags..its actually just a lawnmower rear end..if someone has the article they should post it..but it wasnt a real bizarre setup...Doug also rode a bike on a wheelie around the arena in the movie ON ANY SUNDAY and did an appearance on THATS INCREDIBLE..he actually got the bike stuck in the doors doing a wheelie..on of the best bloopers they ever had

hawaiirider
01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Theres a clip on crusty demons 4 of a klt185 doing cyclone wheelies - its awesome worth watching for sure! i can turn pretty good in a wheelie if i run the tires nearly flat but then i have to pump them up more just to ride...