PDA

View Full Version : New to Trikes

johnsonbz
05-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Just found a screaming deal and bought 3 X 3 wheelers for 800$ 85-200x, 86-200sx, 83-185s. I'm pretty stoked. 185 is not sparking for me right now, but I will be riding them within the week.

3 questions.

I am going to change all fluids. Is the Honda GN4 oil the only oil I should use?? Is there a cheaper/better oil?

Lights on the front of these bikes are all rough... mostly not working/cracked/broken. Is there any aftermarket options, looking cheap, LED maybe.....
Half tempted to buy a bunch of the LED flashlights for cheap, wrap some duct tape around them..... not really, but you get the idea. Something 12V that is not more $$ then finding some OEM stuff.

tires....Any recommendations for some cheap tires. 22x11x9

Hate to sound so cheap, I am just dang excited the the whole Family can go riding for less than $1k

Thanks in advanced for the wisdom.

Grizzlypeg
05-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Other 4 cycle motorcycle oils should be fine. Simply using automotive engine oil could be bad for the clutch, as some oils have additives that cause slippage. Rotella T is fine for motorcycles and atv or atc's. I used it for years and had no problems in my machines. So have many others that put 10's of thousands of miles on street bikes.

As for the led lights, watch out as most kick start atc's run their lights off a stator coil that generates ac only. I know my 84 200x outputs only AC for the headlight and tail light. Not rectified or regulated. Might kill leds.

Shop manuals are available to let you know the bulb and wattage. My 200x for instance uses a 55watt headlight bulb. I wouldn't go over that as its probably all the stator can keep up to.

Good luck on the trikes and you should have a lot of fun with them. I got my first trike this spring and have been out many times on the trails with it, and really think its great fun and very capable.

Xpress
05-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Don't forget to LEAN on those suckers :D

mike1979
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
We need pics! I use the valvoline atv oil, just make sure it is ok for wet clutches.
You can hunt around on bike bandit for tires, they have good deals once in a while.

Honda_Dude
05-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Other 4 cycle motorcycle oils should be fine. Simply using automotive engine oil could be bad for the clutch, as some oils have additives that cause slippage. Rotella T is fine for motorcycles and atv or atc's. I used it for years and had no problems in my machines. So have many others that put 10's of thousands of miles on street bikes.

As for the led lights, watch out as most kick start atc's run their lights off a stator coil that generates ac only. I know my 84 200x outputs only AC for the headlight and tail light. Not rectified or regulated. Might kill leds.

Shop manuals are available to let you know the bulb and wattage. My 200x for instance uses a 55watt headlight bulb. I wouldn't go over that as its probably all the stator can keep up to.

Good luck on the trikes and you should have a lot of fun with them. I got my first trike this spring and have been out many times on the trails with it, and really think its great fun and very capable.

You sure about that? An AC only output that was non-rectified or regulated would brighten & dim directly with engine RPM, you sure it's not a 12V bulb? I'm not doubting you, just never seen such an animal... I'll have to look @ the schematic out of curiosity.

Wow, never knew these older bikes didn't have regulators , does the headlight brightness fluctuate quite a bit? Just looked @ the schematic.

thestud25
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Pics, pics, pics!!! Congrats on the purchase and Welcome to the club!!!

Xpress
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm fairly certain they're 12v bulbs...

Grizzlypeg
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
You sure about that? An AC only output that was non-rectified or regulated would brighten & dim directly with engine RPM, you sure it's not a 12V bulb? I'm not doubting you, just never seen such an animal... I'll have to look @ the schematic out of curiosity.

Oh its a 12v bulb alright. Just that its lit by AC, just like the house lights. No problem for any incandescent (filament) bulb to light up with either ac or dc, but an LED requires DC voltage because its a diode.

84 200x is definately AC unregulated output. Nothing but a stator and magnet and a couple of switches for the lighting circuit. Its not cheaping out in any way, why add rectification and regulation where there is no battery to charge? Oh, and it does dim and brighten with rpms.

Honda_Dude
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Lol, I knew a bulb could be lit by AC, just wasn't aware the non-battery bikes were that way. Oh, and sorry to hi-jack this thread and turn it into ATC Headlights For Dummies, LOL

Grizzlypeg
05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Lol, I knew a bulb could be lit by AC, just wasn't aware the non-battery bikes were that way. Oh, and sorry to hi-jack this thread and turn it into ATC Headlights For Dummies, LOL

Its possible other non-battery bikes differ, but the 84 200x is set up as pure unregulated AC for lighting.

I have a nice looking chrome square light housing that I got from a guy that worked on semi's. Something like that might make a nice headlight for a trike. I'm sure Tractor Supply Company or other parts place might be a good place to find a round or square light and housing. I'd try to limit it to 55 watts though.

Grizzlypeg
06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Went to an auto parts place last night and was looking at tractor lights. They had round and rectangular headlight assemblies from $17 to $34.00. Found a really cool rectangular one, 4x6 lamp inside that has dual side by side reflectors, one for spot and one for diffuse beam. I took some measurements, and it might fit inside my Honda's housing to replace the existing reflector. No wattage rating though. The reflector in my oem housing is quite weathered.

keister
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
maybe more than you want to spend but definitely worth it.
great fit, brand new, decent match.
http://www.dratv.com/
i put these on my 200 and 110.

i have had bad luck with LEDs on trikes.
Standard round trailer lights make for nice cheap tail lights.

Thorpe
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the sickness.... I mean addiction... No wait, I mean 3WW!

johnsonbz
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Perfect, this is just the type of information that I was looking for, the tractor light idea is a good one, and I will just fab a housing.

I happen to like that book, ATC lighting book for dummies :lol: