PDA

View Full Version : 84 110 carb adjustment

nissan4x4
05-29-2010, 10:41 PM
i finally got my 110 to start and idle but it only runs on choke, and if i rev it it dies. and i adjusted some needles to no avail, and theres one screw needle on the bowl of the carb that is all the way in and if i take it out maybe 1 turn gas runs out of the drain line of the bowl. can somebody tell me whats wrong with my carb and tell me what needle does what cause im lost as far as carbs go.also my starter rope keeps tearing anybody got a remedy for this too. thanks nissan

peter250r
05-30-2010, 02:46 AM
get a new rope. as for the carby, if it will only run with the choke on it means that its running lean. need to make it richer. you can do this by either lifting the throttle needle up (on the throttle needle you will see an E-clip you can adjust its position to make the engine run richer or leaner)and/or winding out the pilot screw a turn or so. see exploded diagram below.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh211/cbf900/type2carby84.jpg

nissan4x4
05-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks will try also when running it in choke which is the only way it runs and i turn the pilot screw and it has no effect on the way it runs.thanks ty

Grizzlypeg
05-31-2010, 12:14 AM
No 24 is the drain screw. Maybe that's what you backed off and fuel came out?

If it will only idle with the choke on, the carburetor may have idle passages plugged and need disassembly and cleaning.

nissan4x4
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
i got it to run off of choke for a bit, but it went back to only running on choke. what is the e clip setting for the jet needle its on the 3rd place on the needle from the top is this right for a 110? update soaking carb in sea foam see what that does.

peter250r
06-01-2010, 06:05 AM
have you tried to adjust the idle yet? the idle screw might be out too far.

if it wont run while its spose to be idleing you need to adjust the pilot screw for now, not the throttle need just yet. wind the pilot screw out about halfway or so and see if it will run with the choke off. if it still wont run try winding it out abit more. when you do get it to run with the choke off, you need to wind the screw in until it start to misfire then stop. wind it out abit until the engine has a stable idle.

for the preliminary adjustment for the pilot screw - put the trike on level ground, wind the pilot screw in until it seats LIGHTLY then wind it out 1 and 1/8th turns.

to answer your question, the 3rd groove is the normal setting. the high two settings are for higher altitude.

nissan4x4
06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
soaked in carb cleaner all night, cleaned all jets spotless and it now runs off of choke. but lacks power to pull in 1st gear in low so to ride it i have to put it on choke to ride it.But heres the interesting part and somewhat weird, the pilot screw on choke or off of choke does not change the way it runs,in fact i can take the pilot screw all the way out and it still runs.Whats up with that? please someone help im so anxiouse to ride with full power in the motor and i have cheacked the connection between the aribox and the carb its tight.Thanks

peter250r
06-01-2010, 10:57 PM
firstly only run the engine with the choke off when getting the correct settings for the carby, also wait for the engine to be up to operating temp. just for a base setting wind the pilot screw all the way in and then out 1 & 1/8th turns out. and the throttle needle on the third groove. if it lacks power, change to the bottom groove, then see how it runs.

also have you checked the jet sizes? 85 main and 35 slow.

have you checked that the choke butterfly is actually opening and closing when you move the lever? sounds like it may closed all the time although i could be wrong.

also when the engine is running check for black smoke out the exhaust when revved. if there is none you could wind the pilot screw out a bit.

the only other thing, is the engine rattley? check the valve clearance.

when in neutral what does the engine do when you give it full throttle? does it misfire and rev up or just die and conk out? how high will it rev without missing?

how does the air filter look, might be chokin the engine if its dirty.

if the engine does rev smoothly, how does it go when in gear. does it rev and the trike not move much? if it does this there are two possible reasons one the brakes are partially seized or the centrifical clutch is worn out.

thats all i can think of right now

nissan4x4
06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
1 choke butterfly is working correctly
2no black smoke and turnig the pilot screw has no effect on the engine running whatsoever
3air filter is clean
4 when in gear off of choke it kills itself but will rev up while not in gear off of choke when in choke it has power to go through all the gears in low range but not high range and it loses power bothways about half throttle and acts like it choking itself. thanks for input broke down and ordered new carb off of ebay thanks though

peter250r
06-02-2010, 03:37 AM
how are the brakes?

nissan4x4
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
good they need replacing though