PDA

View Full Version : Carb set up

wopa20
05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
I just put on my new chinese carb from ebay and looking for advice to tune it. I do not have a tach so Im not sure how to set the throttle inturn prevents me from tuning the pilot screw. Ive got her idling at a decent pace but at the start I heard some exhaust popping. She was also fairly difficult to start as well. Any advice? Like where to get a really cheap tach.

Cheers!

QCR77
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM
man ive never had a tach either so im interested in the replys you get. i always made a good guess on the initial idle, and then after the pilot is set get it idling how i want it to idle.

wopa20
05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Sooo just set the idle where I think then follow procedure for pilot? On my last cab I tried that ... seat lightly, 2 1/4 turns out, idle, turn in clockwise until engine dies..... yeah right when i turned it in slowly idle took off like a rocket....

theuglycamel
05-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Don't know how far out in the sticks you are, but if you've got an autozone or NAPA store around, usually they'll rent you a tach. It'll cost you what a new one would but you'll get a full refund when you bring it back. As for the tune, just get it to a steady idle (even if it seems too fast) and make your mix adjustments. Once you've got it smoothed out on the mix, tune down the idle to a more modest speed. If it burps on you as you idle it down, come back up with it and work your mix again. Might take a few up and downs but you should be able to get it where you want it this way without too much headache.

QCR77
05-27-2010, 10:38 PM
thats the way ive always done it. ive asked my parts store if they have a portable tach and they said no.

wopa20
05-27-2010, 10:41 PM
When do i know that the mix is smoothed out (sorry little new at this)

Xpress
05-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Just curious, but what carb? I bought a $20 22mm carb for my 110 on monday, and it works perfectly.

theuglycamel
05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah it's going to depend on the carb. I would start out at 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw and turn clockwise until the engine begins to buck. Slowly back out from that position until the motor smooths out. You sould be able to set your idle down and see if it's smoothed out.