PDA

View Full Version : 200x high idle

bratstang33
05-26-2010, 09:23 AM
ok well i finally got my x running again but still idles way too high. the idle adjustment screw doesnt even seem to work anymore and when i give it some throttle it backfires some. my throttle cable is new and adjusted. is the carb dirty inside or could it be a jetting problem ? please someone help !!!!!!!!!!!

jeswinehart
05-26-2010, 09:29 AM
It sounds like you might have the carb slide in backwards.
If you hard to really struggle to get the top to screw down onto the top of the carb, it probably is backwardsn wich would make the carb about 3/4 throttle.
If that is the case, unscrew the top and rotate the slide 180 degree and re-insert.

john

Grizzlypeg
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Check the carb to cylinder head rubber manifold to see if its loose or cracked. To see if the cracks are letting in air, spray the area with wd40 while the motor is idling. If it suddenly changes rpms, then its sucking in air. Air leaks will make for poor idle and lean mixture.

Also, take the top off the carb and make sure the slide moves smoothly up and down. If you at all suspect its a problem with the cable or its adjustment, you could unhook the cable from the slide and see if that makes a difference at idle.

dcreel
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
You can also take the carb to airbox boot off and look inside the carb to see if the slide is all the way down. The throttle cable may not be letting the slide all the way down. Or it could be in backwards as John stated.

haggard 2hundie
05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
check your throttle cable adjustment as well mine was off a bit and not letting the card slide all the way down .i had the exact prob on my 200X and between adjusting the throttle cable and discovering a leak in my intake boot and a little tinkering with pilot screw and idle screw and used silicone to seal the crack in the intake and then i changed my main jet and whalla i was kickin rocks ! also make sure your throttle cable is routed properly , and turn your handle bars back and fourth with the engine running to b sure the cable is not binding up and pulling the slide when turning , ive seen this happen to a few 200X's. good luck. oh i got a new carb and air filter too.

haggard 2hundie
05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Check the carb to cylinder head rubber manifold to see if its loose or cracked. To see if the cracks are letting in air, spray the area with wd40 while the motor is idling. If it suddenly changes rpms, then its sucking in air. Air leaks will make for poor idle and lean mixture.

Also, take the top off the carb and make sure the slide moves smoothly up and down. If you at all suspect its a problem with the cable or its adjustment, you could unhook the cable from the slide and see if that makes a difference at idle.
i wonder how many times you have answered this question ? seems to be a populular topic. thanks again for your help.

bratstang33
05-27-2010, 09:33 AM
hey thanks for the input guys. i will get to it this weekend and see how things go!!