PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1985 250ES

pprice
05-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I have a 1985 250ES BR. It has run great till recently. I parked it and now it will not start. The neutral light does not light up but the head light works. I have a 86 that I have swapped parts to troubleshoot. I have tried the battery, the solenoid and the ignition box. It is just a single plug looks like a soild state relay possibly. All of this with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thorpe
05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Look at the neutral safety switch on the bottom right side of the motor, just about your rear brake pedal... May have come unplugged, kinda common...

tri again
05-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Look at the neutral safety switch on the bottom right side of the motor, just about your rear brake pedal... May have come unplugged, kinda common...

I just bought one cheap for that very reason

QCR77
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
you try kick starting it?

pprice
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Kick starting doesn't work either. I will check the neutral switch. Thanks

tri again
05-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Kick starting doesn't work either. I will check the neutral switch. Thanks

kick starter moves the piston but wont start it?? or the kick start doesn;t work?

I only ask bc there are different start / run circuits for elec and kick.

for kick, you can literally cut all the wires to the ig sw

some spark with kick but not with elec, which will help your differential diagnosis.

you got spark to the plug in either mode?

pprice
05-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I got it fixed. It was the neutral switch. The wire was broke. I repaired it and it started right up. Thanks for everyone's input.

QCR77
05-30-2010, 10:10 PM
I got it fixed. It was the neutral switch. The wire was broke. I repaired it and it started right up. Thanks for everyone's input.

im sure youre very relieved and happy. good for you. i know first hand how bad troubleshooting can suck, but like the pros on this site will tell you, it happens to us all.

Thorpe
05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Had that sinking feeling that might have been your issue... Kicked mine off in the mud hole once... Was mighty pissed by the time I got it running again....