PDA

View Full Version : Trike registration

haggard 2hundie
05-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok so im biting the bullet and preparing to get my trike registered so i can ride local ohv parks........ lawfully and i gotta say im SCARED!! i read a post on here awhile back where a guy lost his ride while attempting to register and it came back stolen 20 years ago.

i tried calling the local law but they wouldnt run the vin for me and told me to try carfax . they said i could go to the police station and have an officer do it then just not over the phone ?? anyway is there a web site or any other ways of finding out if my trike if is hot ?

do i need to go to the courthouse where i registered my truck , will they be able to tell me if it was ever registered or reported stolen ?

im not about to lose all my money and hard work blood sweat and lots of beers ugh tears just because im trying to be lawful.

Chillian
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
You can do what i have told several people around here to do.. strip it to the frame and then bring it to the cop shop and have them run the numbers. if it comes up stolen they take it on the spot. If that is the case then your out a frame. If not then put it back together.. As far as the online ones they are not trust worthy when the numbers are run it hits a database there not gonna tell you it's stolen without having all your info. So no freebies here. We have a close friend in the police and he said he can run the numbers over the phone but if it comes up stolen, it's flagged in there system and he'd have to come get it. But if you bring just the frame you would only loose the frame. Most of the wheelers we rebuild from the frame anyways so even morally it's still ok.. Just my 2 cents..

cattle-dog
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
tell them you are looking to buy the atc and want the vin checked before you purchase it, they will tell you,

3Wheel_Gunner
05-24-2010, 09:49 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/fz19uf.jpg
I read that thread and had the same thoughts and concerns with the one I'm rebuilding.

Chillian
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
tell them you are looking to buy the atc and want the vin checked before you purchase it, they will tell you,

the problem with that is that if it hits stolen they will want to know the location of the machine.

83ATC185S
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
the problem with that is that if it hits stolen they will want to know the location of the machine.

then you just tell them you dont know,and its on craigslist. and if its your trike that comes up stolen,replace the frame i suppose..

Chillian
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
then you just tell them you dont know,and its on craigslist. and if its your trike that comes up stolen,replace the frame i suppose..
that would work just hope there not to quick on the ball. But honestly when your gonna do a rebuild strip it to frame and before powder coat or whatever bring it down and run the numbers. Always run the numbers before you put money into it.. Lesson i have learned.

Thorpe
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Love MN! If our machine is 25 years old, we dont have to register to ride state land!

RIDE-RED 250r
05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Love MN! If our machine is 25 years old, we dont have to register to ride state land!

you lucky SOB!!!