PDA

View Full Version : i'm an engine idiot

kirscheim
05-22-2010, 09:17 PM
i know nothing at all, i really don't.

just got a yamaha tri moto 200 for a hundred bucks, posted pics in the new members intro forum.
pull starter is done for ( i assume ), it's stuck at fully pulled out.
i pulled it off, and it certainly looks dead to me. i found a couple on e-bay, so thats not an issue. i can move the thing it engages and am reasonably sure it is moving the way it's supposed to. i can feel the crank turning and i guess the piston as well ???

the spark plug wirs is missing the boot end that clicks onto the plug, so i am going to need a new coil too ???

and a major issue is that the guy i got it from said it smokes a LOT, not just a little. so what does that mean for me. top end rebuild, total motor rebuild or what ???

i am anxious to learn everything i guess, and can't wait ti ride this thing

any and all help will be met with gratitude .

i downloaded the yamaha service manual and got it all printed out ( not the owners manual )

thanks in advance

ps, hope this is the right forum for my stupidity to seek help and answers

haggard 2hundie
05-22-2010, 09:24 PM
hang in there man someone is sure to help you out there is alot af great people on here try using the search function and what color is the smoke ?

mismatchtrike
05-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I would start with the pull starter and make sure it works properly, then once you can turn it over
make sure it sparks. If it smokes alot running you probably need rings, if it just smokes upon starting
you probably need some valve work.

jonathandexter
05-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Well you said it., Look its great your so painfully Honest, but. If its that raw, you need to take this thing to the shop and hope you have enough coupins, ; ) to get if running. That is the kindest and best advice I can give!

Good luck!
Jonathan

Yamaha_Rules69
05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
The pull starter can be re-wound, its easy to do, and thats what it sounds like is wrong with yours - the spring came off, or the rope was installed correctly. Read that part in the manual, it should give you a few tips. There are also a few posts of this around on the boards. Try to do a search, and see what you come up with. With the smoking issue, I would get it running first to see how bad it really is. Check the oil level, if some nim-rod put an extra quart in, and it is plump full, it could also smoke like that. My guess though, would be that it is time to do a top end rebuild, and check everything else around the way. Follow the manual, and you will be fine! For the spark plug boot, you can get a replacement for under $5. You could try at your local hardware store, or motorcycle shop, they will get you going. Good luck, and post pics and ask questions if you need help!

Dirtcrasher
05-22-2010, 10:32 PM
When youn don't know anything, it's a recipe for disaster.......

The board helps ALLOT, but if you don't know this from that or have a manual to read, you have to be patient.

Rainer
05-22-2010, 10:40 PM
The smoke is probably either the pistons rings are probably original or the gap between the piston and the cylinder is too big and you need rebored or if its just when you start it up then its a valve seating issue

code200k
05-22-2010, 11:18 PM
if you take your time and read the manuels, I got parts if ya need some

mike1979
05-23-2010, 01:03 AM
I also have a ton of parts, let me know what you need

kirscheim
05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
ok, thanks for the encouragement.

heres a few pics

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/kirscheim/cars%20and%20motorcycles/yamaha%20tri%20moto%20200/Picture002Small.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/kirscheim/cars%20and%20motorcycles/yamaha%20tri%20moto%20200/Picture004Small.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/kirscheim/cars%20and%20motorcycles/yamaha%20tri%20moto%20200/Picture006Small.jpg

after i took off the pull starter
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/kirscheim/cars%20and%20motorcycles/yamaha%20tri%20moto%20200/Picture005Small.jpg

and the pull starter itself
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/kirscheim/cars%20and%20motorcycles/yamaha%20tri%20moto%20200/Picture007Small.jpg

kirscheim
05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
this thing has been beat, and neglected.
when i picked it up, the guy had tons of junk all over his property.
snowmobiles, atv's, and boats.
this trike was " stored " under a bush for the last year.

so i have tones of work to do.
there was a LIVE mouse living in the air box when i opened it the other day.
it escaped before i was able to grab it and take it outside, so it's now somewhere in my garage
at least it's not attached to my house .

kirscheim
05-23-2010, 11:52 AM
i dropped the seat off to be reupholstered .
and after looking around here, i realized i have no gas tank cover / cowling.

this pic is after i pulled the seat, rear fender, and gas tank and just propped then on for the pic

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/kirscheim/cars%20and%20motorcycles/yamaha%20tri%20moto%20200/Picture001Small.jpg

kirscheim
05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
also 2 cans of engine degreaser, a long soak, and a good hosing off.
probably going to spend 20 hours playing in my parts washer to get this thing where i can even safely work on this thing.

but it is probably a great trike for a first timer to learn what to do and not to do

200XMichigan
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Read the manual real good. It will really explain a lot. The spark plug boots simply screws onto the wire coming out of the coil. The wire in the coil actually pulls out of the coil so it can be replaced too. I would get a new boot and a new plug. Spray some penetrating oil in the cylinder and turn it over by hand with the spark plug removed. It will lube up the rings for initial start up. Drain all the gas and oil. Give it something fresh. Change the oil a lot once it first runs to get it all cleaned out. The carb will probably need to be cleaned (internally by removing the jets). Turn the two screws on the side in and count how many times you turn then in. When you put it back together turn them in and turn them out the same amount (assuming it hasn't already been messed with) or set it to factory settings in the book. Check and adjust the valve clearance. Not familiar with Yamaha 3 wheelers but you have a cam chain and it may or may not have an adjuster, some were automatic, if its not make sure it is adjusted. Check the rear axles and steer tube for play. Change the fork oil too. Make sure the drive chain is adjusted and lubed.
Should be a really fun 3 wheeler.

200XMichigan
05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Also you might be able to soak the pull starter with some penetrating oil to get it to loosen up. If that is its problem.