PDA

View Full Version : a little more zip

maxima
05-21-2010, 11:28 PM
i know it wasn't meant to be or never will be a performance powerhouse but, is there anything i can do to get a little more giddy up out of my 85 250sx? just curious. i have an 08 suzuki drz and there are all kinds of mods for it but i haven't seen anything for my trike on the performance enhancing end. not even a jet kit. thanks fellas

Chillian
05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Nothing major. That's reasonable that is. K&N filter aftermarket exhaust helps a little but you will have to rejet. Very small upgrade but it does help. If you looking for a little more snap you can run 20" tires but you will run out of gear fast roughy 8miles an hour slower on top end. Smae thing in reverse you can run 25's and gain more top end and loose some bottom end. There is also a after market cdi that will increase rpm about 200 all of these things make a diffrence tires the most significant thou. But the 250sx is a great trail machine it is good for what it was built for. Also make sure your clutches are good you can loose a bit of power if there worn. If your still looking for more upgrade to a x or an r. Hope this helps some.

jonathandexter
05-22-2010, 02:13 AM
You could have it ported and polished, not cheap but if done right by one of the big names along with the other things mentioned above you can get something significant. But you will be used to the new growth quickly.
Dollars Equals Hp. or Cubic inches.

maxima
05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
thanks fellas. was thinkin of the port and polish when i tear down for timing chain and some other repairs. do they sell a jet kit for it when i put on the pipe or is it a guess and jet and rejet and rejet and rejet and rejet. lol

Chillian
05-23-2010, 12:37 AM
thanks fellas. was thinkin of the port and polish when i tear down for timing chain and some other repairs. do they sell a jet kit for it when i put on the pipe or is it a guess and jet and rejet and rejet and rejet and rejet. lol

well i'm at about 2000 feet above sea lvl.. and with pipe and filter i'm at 40 pilot and a 145 main.. if that helps at all. stock is 38pilot 130. i just kept rejetting till i found it.. but that should give you a little help..

RIDE-RED 250r
05-23-2010, 10:24 AM
hafta add...... just rejetting a stock motor will gain you nothing. And also, in general, for everyday riding, you usually dont need to worry about re-jetting for elevation untill you hit 5000 feet. You being in OH, elevation is not an issue. As CHILLIAN said, adding a K@N filter, and a better flowing aftermarket exhaust will REQUIRE some jetting adjustments to keep the fuel mix on the safe side so you dont burn the piston and/or vlaves. So, having said that, you are correct, there really isnt any "jet kits" available. You have to pick up an assortment of the next 3 or 4 sizes richer than stock so you can dial it in after you start adding components that allow for your engine to breath better. Also, X2 on everything else CHILLIAN said as to reasonably priced mods to get a bit more snap outta your SX.....if you still want more, an X or R would be $$$ better spent.

and no, exhaust systems dont come with jets. you need to pick up the next 3-4 sizes richer from your local parts/motorcycle/atv or even sled dealer, and do the jetting yourself to determine the best size to use.

TIP: start RICH and incrementally work your way leaner. CHILLIANS jetting is pretty spot on. He is running a Cobra complete exhaust, and K@N filter. His jetting specs should get you very close with some possible slight fine tuning for your specific machine

Xpress
05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
You could put a 250r in it :lol:

whyzee
05-23-2010, 01:17 PM
most everything you do to it, except the air filter and tires, will take away one of the 250SX best qualities, how quiet it is !
I would go with a UNI air filter and 20 " tires.